Help/ suddenly no 12v

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any idea what it looks like. I found the AC converter but it doesn't appear to be inverter combo.

Attachments

• PXL_20221102_172826195.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221102_172826195.MP.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 10
I am having a similar situation. I have a 2000 La Palma Monarch. We came camping on Friday. All was well until we changed campsites on Sunday. After just a few hours, my lights went dim then by morning I have no lights, no fridge, carbon dioxide detector dead etc. Everything that runs off the battery is dead. I am hooked up to shore line power. We did check the batteries and they were very low in water. We put a whole gallon of distilled water in them. The salesman battery disconnect switch will turn all the way off but when you try to turn it on-it won't go all the way. It is like is tripped in some way. The above items to come on when the RV is plugged up. Please help

All was well until we changed campsites on Sunday.

We'll start with that as a baseline - everything started out working.

After just a few hours, my lights went dim then by morning I have no lights, no fridge, carbon dioxide detector dead etc.

That implies a loss of AC and you ran on batteries until they gave up.

I am hooked up to shore line power.

Is AC power present at the power pedestal? Do AC appliances like the microwave work? Is there AC present at 120V outlets? Looking to prove AC is making it into the RV.

We did check the batteries and they were very low in water.

Neglected batteries explains why they crapped out after a few hours. Separate problem though, the RV should run on the converter with AC power present.

The salesman battery disconnect switch will turn all the way off but when you try to turn it on-it won't go all the way.

Not familiar with a salesman switch that turns but the way many salesman switches work, the RV will still be powered by the converter even with the switch off. So that's an issue to be resolved but AC power input and converter function should be proven first.

So, what I'd be looking for is if there is any AC making it to circuits in the RV - appliances, outlets. From there I would verify the converter is also receiving AC power, and is outputting house DC. From there you'd verify the DC power is making it to the batteries and house power distribution panel. Since this was "sudden" it can be implied this is as simple as a tripped AC or DC breaker or blown fuse. Could also be the converter failed but basic voltage measurements will verify that. Without knowing the exact wiring of your RV it's difficult to offer specific guidance where to look but the basic premise is to verify functionality of the major AC and DC power paths and work your way back towards the source of those that are wrong or missing.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

All was well until we changed campsites on Sunday.

We'll start with that as a baseline - everything started out working.

After just a few hours, my lights went dim then by morning I have no lights, no fridge, carbon dioxide detector dead etc.

That implies a loss of AC and you ran on batteries until they gave up.

Is AC power present at the power pedestal? Do AC appliances like the microwave work? Is there AC present at 120V outlets? Looking to prove AC is making it into the RV.

We did check the batteries and they were very low in water.

Neglected batteries explains why they crapped out after a few hours. Separate problem though, the RV should run on the converter with AC power present.

The salesman battery disconnect switch will turn all the way off but when you try to turn it on-it won't go all the way.

Not familiar with a salesman switch that turns but the way many salesman switches work, the RV will still be powered by the converter even with the switch off. So that's an issue to be resolved but AC power input and converter function should be proven first.

So, what I'd be looking for is if there is any AC making it to circuits in the RV - appliances, outlets. From there I would verify the converter is also receiving AC power, and is outputting house DC. From there you'd verify the DC power is making it to the batteries and house power distribution panel. Since this was "sudden" it can be implied this is as simple as a tripped AC or DC breaker or blown fuse. Could also be the converter failed but basic voltage measurements will verify that. Without knowing the exact wiring of your RV it's difficult to offer specific guidance where to look but the basic premise is to verify functionality of the major AC and DC power paths and work your way back towards the source of those that are wrong or missing.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The microwave and all outlets are working

I said this incorrectly. It is a toggle switch. The toggle switch will go down to turn the battery off but will not stay up. Like a breaker does when it is tripped. I don't know if that they are designed to not go fully up like I light toggles do or not. This is our first trip in an RV.

Mark Thanks so much I am going to try this.
I called an RV place and they told me to hook a battery charger up and charge the battery with it to get us through the weekend. When I got back to my husband he asked if the batteries could be in place and plugged in while they were charging with the battery charger. I didn't know to ask the gentleman this. We are so remote when I went out to call back he was already gone for the day and will not be back till Tuesday. Can you verify this for me? I tried to google it but could not get a clear answer.

Yes you can charge the batteries while they are connected.

If your 12VDC stuff works on a separate battery charger the charger/converter in the coach is likely bad.

As Mark said you low water batteries have probably been bad for some time now. I doubt they will take a full charge.

Yes you can charge the batteries while they are connected.

If your 12VDC stuff works on a separate battery charger the charger/converter in the coach is likely bad.

As Mark said you low water batteries have probably been bad for some time now. I doubt they will take a full charge.
Thanks. I really appreciate all the help from you and Mark

"Check".

The toggle switch will go down to turn the battery off but will not stay up.

It is likely a momentary switch. The actual power connections are controlled by a solenoid/relay elsewhere, and the switch only controls the actuation. For now I would say this is OK.

This is our first trip in an RV.

Nothing like being properly initiated.

they told me to hook a battery charger up and charge the battery with it to get us through the weekend.
...if the batteries could be in place and plugged in while they were charging with the battery charger.

Yes, you're fine. The only issue with that idea will likely be that most portable battery chargers don't have a lot of power and may not run some things in the RV and charge the batteries at the same time. So you'd have to be mindful of what you're running so you don't exceed the charger's capacity. This isn't an issue of danger or damage, just that things will go dim or not work right if you push it. Maybe while the batteries are soaking up a little bit of charge and you have lights again you can regroup and figure out why your converter isn't working. A year 2000 RV means a 22 year old converter so it very well may have given up, but before I'd throw in the towel I'd be making input/output measurements to make sure it isn't something simple/stupid like a popped fuse or breaker. If you have a power center - box that contains your AC breakers and DC fuses - I'd start there. On my RV the power center is where the converter is located, and there is a separate DC breaker box near where the house battery compartment is.

For future reference, it's a good idea to create a new topic for your questions so we're not troubleshooting different people's problems in the same post.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

"Check".

The toggle switch will go down to turn the battery off but will not stay up.

It is likely a momentary switch. The actual power connections are controlled by a solenoid/relay elsewhere, and the switch only controls the actuation. For now I would say this is OK.

This is our first trip in an RV.

Nothing like being properly initiated.

they told me to hook a battery charger up and charge the battery with it to get us through the weekend.
...if the batteries could be in place and plugged in while they were charging with the battery charger.

Yes, you're fine. The only issue with that idea will likely be that most portable battery chargers don't have a lot of power and may not run some things in the RV and charge the batteries at the same time. So you'd have to be mindful of what you're running so you don't exceed the charger's capacity. This isn't an issue of danger or damage, just that things will go dim or not work right if you push it. Maybe while the batteries are soaking up a little bit of charge and you have lights again you can regroup and figure out why your converter isn't working. A year 2000 RV means a 22 year old converter so it very well may have given up, but before I'd throw in the towel I'd be making input/output measurements to make sure it isn't something simple/stupid like a popped fuse or breaker. If you have a power center - box that contains your AC breakers and DC fuses - I'd start there. On my RV the power center is where the converter is located, and there is a separate DC breaker box near where the house battery compartment is.

For future reference, it's a good idea to create a new topic for your questions so we're not troubleshooting different people's problems in the same post.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks so much. Just to verify I can stay plugged into shoreline power to operate the items that don't require battery at the same time correct? I sure do appreciate yall so much!

Can someone please tell me where the Converter is on my 2000 Monaco Dynasty? I know where the inverter is.
In a coach such as yours with an inverter as standard equipment, the inverter is very likely also the converter/charger. If you would identify the inverter make/model, we could verify that.

I see the photo of a Trace unit in a later post. That would surely be an inverter/charger.

I can stay plugged into shoreline power to operate the items that don't require battery at the same time correct?
Yes. The 120VAC side is separate from the 12VDC side. Most RV house loads are 12V though and will be running off of the converter (battery charger).

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Any idea what it looks like. I found the AC converter but it doesn't appear to be inverter combo.
The pic you posted shows only the 120v AC side, however, above the yellow box, is the description "Inverter/Charger" which implies it is both an inverter, and a charger for the DC.

Looking further, inside the yellow box is a small white box marked "circuit breaker" and is also marked "To Charge Circuit", so I feel confident that is the charger also, and it has a circuit breaker to protect it.

Full model numbers from the data tag will help identify it, however I'll bet the charger is contained within the inverter.

Charles

I agree with Charles, although simplistic the diagram in your picture shows both inverter and charger functions.

The transformer shown to the right of the relays, works in both directions. As shown in the NC position (no shore or generator power), it is functioning as an inverter. The right side of the transformer that is shown with nothing connected, comes from the 12VDC system. As shown, the transformer is being fed by a sinosoidal voltage that the transformer steps up to 120VAC and feeds the 30A sub panel lines 1 and 2.

When connected to shore power or generator, the relays switch to the NO position and 120VAC lines 1 and 2 are split and fed directly to the sub panel. In this position, the transformer steps down the 120 VAC to a lower AC voltage ( probably around 20VAC) that gets rectified to +12VDC charge supply (14.6 VDC max).

Of course there are additional components on the 12VDC system not shown on this picture. But basicaly, the transformer input from the 12VDC side uses one path when in the inverter mode and another when in the charger mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom