Help! Tire extender valve came off!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Well this week we were running through the final checks to get the rig ready for running to QZ.  I was checking tire air pressures.  I was unscrewing one of the valve caps and suddenly looked down and saw the entire extender in my hand.  Ouch!  Lesson learned, to grab the extender with one hand while turning the valve cap to insure this does not happen again.

But ...  I spent the next two hours trying to thread the extender back through the hole in the hub cover.  I cannot seem to get the extender back on the inner tire.  Is there a trick to this, or do I have to drive to the RV dealer and beg for their help?  I sure would like to have my tire pressures up to snuff before Thursday.

Smoky,

Just remove the hub cap, reinstall the extender and then replace the hub cap. On mine there are only two lug nuts that unscrew, they have a small indent on the cover, yours may be the same.

You may be able to reach up between the duals to reinstall the extender like we do when installing the Pressure -Pro  sensors.  I never like extenders and before Pressure Pro  I found other ways of checking air pressures without the use of potential leaky troublesome extenders.

Smoky,

Aren't your extenders fastened to the hub cap or wheel somehow? If you have wheel simulators then they should be mounted to the hub on a bracket. This will prevent what happened to you. If you have aluminum wheels then there should be a rubber grommet where it comes through the outer wheel.

Threading them back on can be done but, as mentioned, you have to remove the wheel simulator first.

I will try for a few more minutes in the morning. ?I don't have a hub cap. ?Looks like solid aluminum wheel to me. ?I have not tried reaching between the duals so I will try that in the morning.

If all fails, I will hope that tire is sufficient to get me to QZ where I know a number of you will be able to immediately tell me if I can remove the problem myself. ?Glad it is not an all day drive.

Back
Top Bottom