Help!! Towing capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mmanley58

I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra with weight on door of 6600. I am looking at buying a TT that has a weight of 6470. Is this possible? Also that is coming from manufacturing weight. I'm afraid when I add contents I will be overloaded and we are planning on moving around in TT. Please help me before I spend money I can't tow. Thanks!

According to Google
Payload1,580 lbs.
Maximum towing capacity6,500 lbs.

So loaded your rig will weigh at least 7000 pounds that is over the max towing capacity
THe payload on the truck from the TT will be about 800 lbs that leaves you 800 lbs of payload for you, your partner, the dog, grill whatever else you put in the trucks bed or cab..
So smaller TT or bigger truck

Indeed, Darsben is correct. You need something like I tow, 21', loaded under 6k pounds.

Mmanley58 welcome to the Forum. You've come to right place. There are experts here to help you with you questions.

My DH (Dear Husband) and I were members before we started RVing seven years ago. The information and guidance we've received has been invaluable.

According to Google
Payload1,580 lbs.
Maximum towing capacity6,500 lbs.

So loaded your rig will weigh at least 7000 pounds that is over the max towing capacity
THe payload on the truck from the TT will be about 800 lbs that leaves you 800 lbs of payload for you, your partner, the dog, grill whatever else you put in the trucks bed or cab..
So smaller TT or bigger truck
800 pounds minus your tongue weight equals your available cargo capacity while towing

I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra with weight on door of 6600.
Not sure what weight you are referring to, but it's probably not the tow capacity because that rarely appears on the door placards. Maybe the truck GVWR? The tow and cargo values that darsben reported seem about right for a Tundra-size truck, but it depends somewhat on the truck configuration (engine, cab type, transmission, 2WD/4WD, etc). From what I can find, it could be anywhere between 4800 and 7100. A V8 double cab model is typically 6500.

The Tundra's legal cargo capacity (payload) will be shown on one of the placards on the driver door post.

Last edited:
Do not take your truck to the absolute max towing weight. I did it with an F150 years ago that I mostly parked at a seasonal facility, but when I did tow it the F150 felt like it was being dragged by the trailer as opposed to the other way around.

I can concur. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee at the max tow capacity, felt like I was gonna blow a gasket going up hill. So I'm selling this and buying a ram 2500.

When towing you need to worry about factors

Vehicle Cargo Capacity
Vehicle GVWR
Vehicle GCVWR
Tongue Weight
Trailer GVWR

There is more to it then just Tongue and trailer weight.

Example: My Ford Expedition can handle 900 tongue weight, 9000 trailer weight, Cargo Capacity of 1350. Cargo Capacity is posted on my door on a yellow sticker. Ford has an excellent reference online. You need to know your vehicles options and gear ratio.

1) Vehicle Cargo capacity minus Tongue weight is your available Cargo Capacity while towing. You must also subtract passenger weight as well. Most manufactures already add a 150 pound driver into the equation. Do not exceed Cargo Capacity. My trailer has a tongue weight of 500 pounds leaving me 400 pounds of available cargo capacity. Trailer GVWR 7500. As I add passengers the Cargo Capacity shrinks. Passengers are cargo.

2)GCVWR ( Gross Combined weight of truck and trailer (GVWR+GVWR) Do not exceed this weight. Vehicles brakes and drive train are designed to start and stop a certain amount of weight. In most cases a trailers dry weight may not be a problem. But, as soon as as you add water and cargo to the trailer you may over load your truck. Even I must load my trailer carefully to keep the tongue weight down without making it to lite.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom