Help with Brake Controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JWC

I just moved from a truck that had an integrated break controller (that worked just fine) to a truck that doesn't have one. Installed a prodigy 2. When I squeeze the manual break lever on the highest setting, I can feel the breaks engage but it takes a long time for it to slow down. I feel like I should be getting much more break on the highest setting (like when I squeezed the lever on my previous truck). I am not good dealing with electricity at all, so i can't measure current, etc. I'm just wondering if someone might have an easy or obvious solution to this problem

I know you said you were on the highest setting-what is that displayed number?

Check your settings - there is an adjustment for the power output and there are settings for different conditions or really for different trailers. The max setting power setting (I believe is 12 for 12 volts) should easily drag your TT tires on pavement. ours does its job of dragging tires on payment at about 25 mph as described in the manual in the area of "6" for power setting. You set the power out while stopped and while holding the manual mode full on. You can not adjust on the move.

I detune to the "B1" trailer type setting when driving through the campgrounds because the controller wiil drag my TT tires on gravel roads when applying the truck brakes. I use "B2" on pavement for normal driving. It has been a few years but I recall the manual described the settings pretty well. I am very happy with the Prodigy. I hope you can work this out.

Welcome to the forum.
The very first thing you should do is check the brakes to make sure they are adjusted properly. What year is the trailer and when was the last time the brakes were looked at?

I know you said you were on the highest setting-what is that displayed number?

Check your settings - there is an adjustment for the power output and there are settings for different conditions or really for different trailers. The max setting power setting (I believe is 12 for 12 volts) should easily drag your TT tires on pavement. ours does its job of dragging tires on payment at about 25 mph as described in the manual in the area of "6" for power setting. You set the power out while stopped and while holding the manual mode full on. You can not adjust on the move.

I detune to the "B1" trailer type setting when driving through the campgrounds because the controller wiil drag my TT tires on gravel roads when applying the truck brakes. I use "B2" on pavement for normal driving. It has been a few years but I recall the manual described the settings pretty well. I am very happy with the Prodigy. I hope you can work this out.
I set it to 13 (max). And I even set the boost to 3 just to see. Still,. nothing remotely approaching lock up.

Sounds to me like 1 of two things could be wrong. Your trailer brakes need adjusting (likely) or you have one or more bad magnets.
Start with the simple things first. Adjust the trailer brakes.

Welcome to the forum.
The very first thing you should do is check the brakes to make sure they are adjusted properly. What year is the trailer and when was the last time the brakes were looked at?
The trailer is 2012. I don't believe the brakes have ever been looked at. Is this something I could do myself? I'm set to leave tomorrow.

Sounds to me like 1 of two things could be wrong. Your trailer brakes need adjusting (likely) or you have one or more bad magnets.
Is break adjustment a difficult task? I'm supposed to leave tomorrow and doubt I could get anyone to look at it before then

The trailer is 2012. I don't believe the brakes have ever been looked at. Is this something I could do myself? I'm set to leave tomorrow.
If you’ve never done it before you should get someone to do it and show you how to do it. It’s not hard but If done incorrectly could lead to major dangerous issues.

Reactions: JWC
Brake "gain" controls how many amps go to the trailer brakes (not voltage). Poor wire connections on the trailer or tow vehicle can limit the amps. So can poorly adjusted brakes (mechanical adjustment). Check all the wiring, all the way to the trailer wheels - broken or corroded wires aren't uncommon.

Since you say the brakes worked fine on the previous truck, I have to think that something in the new controller and trailer connector is limiting power. Is the brake control power source adequate top supply high amperage? Wiring to the trailer plug robust enough? The brake wire should probably be 10 ga; it has to be capable of high amps.

There are YouTube videos showing how to adjust. Here are a couple of them:

Last edited:
A friend just had his TT brakes checked and was told that someone over-did it when greasing the bearings via "bearing buddies" and got grease all over the brake drum

Adjusting the breaks fixed it! Thank you. At least until I was leaving town. Hit a pothole unavoidably and lost my trailer breaks. Didn't think about it being the pothole at first. Pulled into RV repair place and they immediately got me in and discovered the break wires had been mashed against the frame..they replaced that section of wire and we were back on the road. They told it was caused mainly by flat leaf springs. So I'm looking to replace all four. I'm out of town on vacation. What kinds of shops sell leaf springs for RVs. Just RV repair shops?

When younget home start searching for spring shops. Most large cities will have them. They can make anythingmyou want.

As a general rule avoid "RV Shops", they specialize in nothing and often overcharge for everything.

Think of your RV as a collection of things assembled together. If you need engine work look for a garage that repairs the kind of motor (Ford, Chev, Merc). Brakes can be done by anyone, Suspension is not specific to the RV, it was there before they turned it into an RV. Etc.

Similarly if you need help with electrical find an electrician, plumbing by a plumber and general repairs by a carpenter or a handyman.

And if in doubt ask here, everything you own, it seems, has been repaired at least once by someone on this forum.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom