Help with potential Mice Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katyhorn

I have an RV in my property that is 90 minutes away that I go and stay every other weekend. I was there last weekend and left my warm-up pants with my dog's "treats" bag. We have been mice free for 6 months due to heavy "peppermint solution" spraying, which I do right before I leave on every trip. I'm debating whether to go this weekend just to go get the treats bag or wait another 7 days. Do you all think waiting 14 days will be too late for the mice to return? Thank you!

Depends if you resolved their means of ingress. If there's a way in, they're probably in already. Maybe they don't like the mint/cinnamon repellants but I think if there was a tasty dinner within reach they'll find it. If there isn't a way in, you can safely leave mouse hors d'oeuvres around and you're OK. So I guess this is your litmus test - when you go back you'll find out if your prevention methods are sufficient or not.

The PO of my RV used some cloth bags of repellent of some kind, seems like a mix of peppermint and cinnamon. I found them stashed everywhere. I must've missed at least a few because every time I go in there after it's been closed up a while I get that "minty fresh" sensation. No idea if they were an effective repellent or not but have never found any evidence of mice. My take on it though is that physical barriers are way better than any kind of repellent.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

You are probably fine. Just remember that if any evidence of mice in the RV shows up, use sticky traps or snap traps to get the critters. This allows you to find the dead critters and remove them. Using any type of poisoning bait after the critters have found a pathway into the RV, will result in dead mice somewhere in the RV and not easily found if ever.

I would also consider a professionally used external deterrence program if the inside of the RV has been cleared.

Depends if you resolved their means of ingress. If there's a way in, they're probably in already. Maybe they don't like the mint/cinnamon repellants but I think if there was a tasty dinner within reach they'll find it. If there isn't a way in, you can safely leave mouse hors d'oeuvres around and you're OK. So I guess this is your litmus test - when you go back you'll find out if your prevention methods are sufficient or not.

The PO of my RV used some cloth bags of repellent of some kind, seems like a mix of peppermint and cinnamon. I found them stashed everywhere. I must've missed at least a few because every time I go in there after it's been closed up a while I get that "minty fresh" sensation. No idea if they were an effective repellent or not but have never found any evidence of mice. My take on it though is that physical barriers are way better than any kind of repellent.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I tried very hard a year ago to block all entrances. however, I still see a few mich droppings occasionally under the sink in the bathroom. A peppermint extract solution seems to be working the best, besides making sure that we don't leave any food out.

Google mouse bucket trap. This always works and it’s not messy.

Who needs Google when we have it right here on the forum? ;) See this link --> Ultimate mouse trap

I also highly endorse the bucket trap. It's the perfect solution for a situation like you describe, where the RV is in storage or only visited occasionally. The traps cost a few dollars to assemble. Mice caught in a bucket trap (containing antifreeze solution) will not decompose or stink, and it can be dumped in the woods and then reset in a matter of minutes.

Thanks all for the guidance. I've done all the research before and ended up sealing the RV as much as possible and then with fresh cab and pepermint spray have managed to keep them away. My question really was if you all thought that leaving "dog treats" inside the RV for two weeks would bring the mice back in, even though I sprayed the heck out of the RV with peppermint right before I left. Thank you.

Anything left in the RV certainly could invite the mice in, depending on the rodent population in that area. They’re always looking for a snack and some nesting material. We completely emptied out our RV one off-season, or thought so… a box of Kleenex was left behind. When I returned, the tissues had been shredded and spread from one end of the rig to the other!

That’s why setting up something like the bucket trap will guarantee any mouse that makes it inside… doesn’t make it far. It’ll also inform you as to whether any mice ARE getting in during those 2-week periods.

Tightly wrapped and placed in a container inside a cabinet that cannot be filtrated by rodents and mice will be fine. Laying out in the open air and accessible to intruders would not be advisable but the intruders need to get in to find the goodies and don't really need it. The food source can be an external one and most of the time is external. They mostly come in to nest and find a safe place to make babies or get out of the elements. Finding food there too is a bonus. I have read that some very smart rodents have learned how to use TV remotes. I don't believe it though. I know a few of them and they have no idea about TV remotes but I would hide the remotes just to be sure you do not experience unwanted electricity usage. :cool:

Last edited:
The only true mice deterrent is prevention. If there is a hole even as small as a quarter they will get in. Rodent proof spray foam backed by SS screen or SS wool will stop them.

I’ve been using fresh cab packets for five years and haven’t had any mice.

My question really was if you all thought that leaving "dog treats" inside the RV for two weeks would bring the mice back in
The effects of leaving the treats out if opened might increase the probability but most likely not, particularly if you normally have those same treats in a cabinet somewhere. Rodents will feed on non-human foods like birdseed and dry pet food in a pinch. They have incredibly sensitive noses and can easily smell your food through walls and packaging. Restricting access to food sources is the most important way to keep mice out of your RV.

I have an RV in my property that is 90 minutes away that I go and stay every other weekend. I was there last weekend and left my warm-up pants with my dog's "treats" bag. We have been mice free for 6 months due to heavy "peppermint solution" spraying, which I do right before I leave on every trip. I'm debating whether to go this weekend just to go get the treats bag or wait another 7 days. Do you all think waiting 14 days will be too late for the mice to return? Thank you!
We live in PA. We tried all the tricks to keep mice out. They destroyed the canvas in our brand new pop up. When we bought our travel trailer we put light underneath and sealed off ALL possible entry spots with spray foam. We replaced our canvas on the pop up and did that too. We are rodent free. It was worth it.

I had a huge rodent problem. I started taking my cat out to the RV. Problem solved!

I installed Cats (Two) BEFORE the mice arrived... No mice inside RV. one chewed up the ignition wires once.. Took out 2 of the 8 cylinders.. Wife could not hear the very obvious misfire.. (Well Obvious to me misfire) ... shop taped up the wires. replaced two plugs.. and no more misfire.

When a food source is detected, mice WILL locate it and enter. A mouse can squeeze through a hole big enough for its head, it can narrow its body to the hose size.
Yes sealing all points of entry keeps mice out, are you sure you found them all?
The most effective tricks are to totally remove any traces of food, and put out mouse bait instead.
Some are always afraid of a mouse eating bait then crawling behind a wall to die. That doesn't happen usually, because mouse bait (Warfarin) causes internal bleeding, which in turn makes them very thirsty. They go outside to find water/moisture, where they then die.

In my unit, I had no holes but they made one eating the cables for the passenger camera and the passenger side mirror to go in. I now use fresh cabs and this units from Amazon. No problems.

Loraffe Under Hood Animal Repeller Battery Operated Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Rat Deterrent Keep Mice Away from Car with Ultrasounds and LED Strobe Lights Rodent Defense Vehicle Pest Control,​

I bought them from Amazon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom