Help with power cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

v v

I don't have the consumtion (in Watts) of the electrical devices that are used, I'm currently in France and the camper with manuals/specifications are in the UK. We'll be reunited very briefly on the 8 October and I collect it around the 17/18 of October.

I understand what you are saying but can't give a definitive answer without looking at the specs.

Maybe it's better to defer this thread until I have access to the camper again then I can give some meaningful data and restart where we left off.

Tom

Administrator
Could you remind us of the make/model of your motorhome?

v v

Could you remind us of the make/model of your motorhome?

Of course Tom.

Mercedes Sprinter platform chassis base, 4.6 ton. 2.7 Ltr 5 cylinder diesel motor, auto box and twin rear wheels

Motorhome A class manufactured by Hymer of Germany 2006, one of the last of that series, a new series started the same year. Registered 2007

Model Star-Line B680 with a fixed rear double bed and a large pull down front double bed, dinette seating.

Both good and bad news is very low mileage for its age

v v

Yep, almost identical. Differences are the seating area, fabric colour and a detail in the garage.

CharlesinGA

I had a 2007 Winnebago View which was built on the 2006 Dodge (Sprinter) 3500 cab/chassis. that was the last year of the 2.7L 5 cyl diesel and mine was built late enough to have the crankshaft damper improvments (larger center bolt, larger keyway).

I actually liked the motorhome but it had the most common (and worst) floor plan, and many aspects of the Sprinter scared me, as the transmission was notorious for low mileage failure. The same transmission behind the V6 saw major improvements in internal components and certain design changes that made it very durable.

Had it been the bunk bed model (bunk beds across the back, no slide out) I might have stuck with it, but it really wasn't suited to my traveling.

Charles

Attachments

• Image143.jpg
    Image143.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 4

Tom

Administrator
Of course Tom.

Mercedes Sprinter platform chassis base, 4.6 ton. 2.7 Ltr 5 cylinder diesel motor, auto box and twin rear wheels

Motorhome A class manufactured by Hymer of Germany 2006, one of the last of that series, a new series started the same year. Registered 2007

Model Star-Line B680 with a fixed rear double bed and a large pull down front double bed, dinette seating.

Both good and bad news is very low mileage for its age
Thanks for the info.

v v

I had a 2007 Winnebago View which was built on the 2006 Dodge (Sprinter) 3500 cab/chassis. that was the last year of the 2.7L 5 cyl diesel and mine was built late enough to have the crankshaft damper improvments (larger center bolt, larger keyway).

I actually liked the motorhome but it had the most common (and worst) floor plan, and many aspects of the Sprinter scared me, as the transmission was notorious for low mileage failure. The same transmission behind the V6 saw major improvements in internal components and certain design changes that made it very durable.

Had it been the bunk bed model (bunk beds across the back, no slide out) I might have stuck with it, but it really wasn't suited to my traveling.

Charles

That's interesting, looks very European from the outside.

I don't know anything about autoboxes and have to admit I have never owned an autobox vehicle before this camper so don't have comparisons.

I did get Mercedes to change all the gearbox filters and oil at 22,000 miles, it has made it a little smoother but it was smooth before anyway.
I'll keep your remarks in mind and at the first sign of any changes will get it looked at, thanks for the info.
Are Sprinter dealerships common in the US? Don't intend visiting any but who knows.

What did you think of the motor? I like it as it's so smooth, quiet and reasonably economical.

CharlesinGA

The automatic transmission is called a NAG1 (New Automatic Gearbox 1) and is a Damiler transmission but is used in Porsche, Jaguar, Many early 2000's Chrysler and Jeep products, and others, but the one they used behind the diesel was the next to the lowest rated (in NM or torque) of any of the models they built. Fluid changes are something you want to do often on this transmission when it is being operated heavy, which is 100% of the time. MB originally said it had a lifetime service, then reduced it to 80,000 miles when the failures showed up, and finally 60,000 miles. This is for vans that usually run lightly loaded. My personal thinking is to change it every 20,000 miles, at least a dump and fill from the pan, if not the converter and everything. Automatics love fresh fluid. Biggest problem is finding fluid in the US, there are only about 3 or 4 approved brands of it. I used the Fuchs. I also installed a deep aluminum pan on the transmission, which adds two and a half additional quarts, with a temp gauge to monitor the temp. Not totally realistic as the pan fluid is the coldest fluid in the transmission but its something to monitor.

Filling the transmission after draining it is the most difficult task, as the fill/dipstick tube is so small that you use a small funnel and a small 3 or 4 ounce cup and dribble the fluid into it or it will back up and spill out on the alternator. Took me about 2 hours to refill it.

The serpentine belt is by far the easiest to replace I have ever encountered. If you take more than 10 minutes, you are doing something wrong. Always use a Contitech belt, the Dayco and Gates belts are not the correct length.

I gave a spare oil filter and fuel filter to the buyer, but I have several left.

The engine is very good in most respects. High mileage expediter usage owners would experience what is called "black death" when fuel leaks from the injectors and cokes up around them, but you will never experience that, and the fix is to pull injectors every so often and replace all of the seals, crush washers, etc, before it happens. It is not uncommon for vans in expediter use to go over a half million miles on the original transmission and engine with no problems.

There is a forum called Sprinter-Source.com which is probably the best there is on the Sprinter products. People from all over the world participate. Mine and yours are on the T1N chassis.

Charles

Attachments

• Trans_temp_gauge_driver_prospective.jpg
    Trans_temp_gauge_driver_prospective.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Aluminum transmission pan Sprinter.jpg
    Aluminum transmission pan Sprinter.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Transmission_temp_gauge_1.jpg
    Transmission_temp_gauge_1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: