Help with trip to Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timsrv

Hi all,

Am taking a 5000+ mile trip from Vermont to Yellowstone in a couple weeks.? Planning to travel I-90 across South Dakota.? I notice there's no easy way to get into the park from this direction.? Can anyone give me advice on routing?? Am towing a 10,000 lb travel trailer and don't really want to go over a steep mountain pass (like Beartooth!).? Thanks for any help.

Tim

Beartooth pass is closed right now, and even if it were open, you're wise in not taking the trailer over it.  Stay on I-90 to Livingston and then take 89 south to the north entrance of Yellowstone.

I recommend parking out side the park say in Cody on the East side of Yellowstone and do day trips into the park or in West Yellowstone and do day trips into the park. 

I do not recommend trying to go East from i-90 over hiway 14 or 14A  near Sheridan, Wyo with a RV.  Beautifull drive but OH MY God hill is white knuckle and can be hard on equipment.

You can stay on I-90 to either Livingston as Ned sugested or continue on to to Bozeman then take 191 South to West Yellow stone.

Where are you staying at Yellowstone? If at Fishing Bridge, you can follow Ned's advice about taking US 89 from Livingston or you can take US 16 from Buffalo via Worland, Greybull and Cody. We did the US 16 route and liked it. Buffalo is a neat little town. So is Ten Sleep, Worland, Greybull. We were only going to stay in Cody for a day or two and ended up staying a week.

There is construction inside the East Gate so the gate is only open from 8:00 am - 8:00 pm. Expect a thirty minute delay for one-way traffic via a pilot vehicle. Can be messy in rain but not too bad. Just be patient. Beartooth Highway (US 212) between Red Lodge and Beartooth Pass is closed, plus there is some construction just east of Cooke City.

Inside the park, the road is closed between Tower Fall and Canyon until mid Jul or August. In addition, there is a stretch of about three miles or so between Norris Jct and Madison Jct that is a construction area and although the road is still paved, it is very rough.

Right now we're in West Yellowstone at Grizzly. Yellowstone is crowded and it's slow going on the roads inside the park. Diesel in the park is 2.499. In Cody it's 2.269 and in West Yellowstone it's 2.469.

Thanks to everyone...

Is Beartooth closed due to contruction or snow?? Seems like it should be gone by mid July if it's snow...Have been over it before years ago, but not towing.? Seems like a long way around to go up north of the park on I-90 to Livingston.? I like the idea of getting off at Buffalo and taking 16 around to Cody.? The map shows a pass though on 16 just west of Buffalo (Powder River).? Is this better than taking 14 west from Sheridan/Dayton?? Had planned to stay outside the park for some of the time so Cody seems like a good place.? Have reservations at Fishing Bridge also.? Sorry to hear the park is crowded...it will probably only get worse in a couple weeks!

Tim

Beartooth pass is closed due to landslides and is not expected to open till late summer. In any case Beartooth pass is NOTrecommended for trailers or motorhomes. 

Highway 16 out of Buffalo is an option but suggest you check with Wyoming DOT to check road conditions before taking that route.  I would not recommend under any circumstances taking an RV over highway 14.  OH MY GOD HILL was appropriately named.  I know some folks that won't even go over it in a passenger vehicle.

Cody is an excellent place to stay while visiting the park.  There is much to see right in and around Cody.  If you stay in Cody be sure to stop and see the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody.

timsrv said:
Thanks to everyone...

Is Beartooth closed due to contruction or snow?? Seems like it should be gone by mid July if it's snow...Have been over it before years ago, but not towing.? Seems like a long way around to go up north of the park on I-90 to Livingston.? I like the idea of getting off at Buffalo and taking 16 around to Cody.? The map shows a pass though on 16 just west of Buffalo (Powder River).? Is this better than taking 14 west from Sheridan/Dayton?? Had planned to stay outside the park for some of the time so Cody seems like a good place.? Have reservations at Fishing Bridge also.? Sorry to hear the park is crowded...it will probably only get worse in a couple weeks!
Tim

US 16 west of Buffalo is just fine. Came through there a week and 1/2 ago. That's the way to go IMHO. US 16 Buffalo, Worland, Greybull through Cody and in the east gate. Just remember, it's only open 8:00am-8:00pm.

Ron said:
I would not recommend under any circumstances taking an RV over highway 14.  OH MY GOD HILL was appropriately named.  I know some folks that won't even go over it in a passenger vehicle.

Ron, I hope you meant 14A!  I'm in Sheridan and planning to head to Cody via 14 in a couple of days.  The folks here at Peter D's say don't do 14A but recommend 14 - just slow and easy.

Joel

joelmyer said:
Ron, I hope you meant 14A!? I'm in Sheridan and planning to head to Cody via 14 in a couple of days.? The folks here at Peter D's say don't do 14A but recommend 14 - just slow and easy.

Joel

We have been across both and do not recommend either.? Of course the grades on 14 are only 10% but I would not recommend it.? You got to remmember the locals do it all the time and most likely in a car.? ?Either route is white knuckle.
If you are bent on going that route drive it first in just the truck.  It is a beautiful drive and it is very likely you will see deer and Moose and worth the drive.

I really appreciate the insight.  The rest of the family just thinks about the fun stuff and I worry about transmission and brake problems!  You never know what to expect from just looking at maps...it helps to talk to those who've been there.  We'll be traveling south to the Tetons and then down to I-80 for the trip back east.  Would it be better to take route 26 over Togwotee pass via Riverton to Casper, or route 191 south to Rock Springs?

Tim

Tim,

I haven't been over highway 26 from Moran Junction over Togwotee pass for several years so I called my brother in Riverton.  He was over that road driving a small bus a few months ago.  He said he didn't see anything bad about it.  It is a winding road but nothing bad. So either route should be OK.  I think if it were me I would take 26 over Togwotee pass.  It isn't a fast drive but very scenic as I recall.  Should be no problems from Riverton to Casper either.  The other route through Rock Springs is OK too.  Watch for deer in the mountains and Antelope.  Not unusual to see 50 -100 antelope out there.

If you overnight in Cheyenne stay at the Terry Bison Ranch just South of Cheyenne.  Good food and lot of buffalo to see.  If you eat in Cheyenne one of the best places is the at the Cheyenne airport terminal.

Have a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom