HepvO Sanitary Waste Valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil-t

Who has experience with these things (new to me). I have one installed in the standpipe for the combo washer/dryer in our new to us motorhome. I was testing the washer today - suspicious of proper winterization and such so I was watching things really close and had towels arranged to catch any possible leaks.
Well, when the washer went to drain and pumped the water out it just back washed right out of the top of the standpipe; which has one of thes installed in it. I found the operational video on U-Tube. My big question - Is this designed to take the water, under pressure, from the washer pump?

hepo drain valve.jpg

The pump isn't putting pressure on it. The top of the standpoint is open, so the pressure is just atmospheric pressure. My guess is that it is stuck closed.

It sounds like maybe the flex diaphragm didn’t open enough. I would remove it and using something like a broom handle rounded on the end, carefully run it down through the valve.
now if the hole going through the valve is smaller diameter than your washing machine hose, it may not work. Do you know if the previous owner had a washing machine?

Yes, this was installed previous to me, so the valve is of some age.
Thanks - I'm taking it out to check it out.

I wonder if they poured antifreeze or who knows what down the pipe to winterize and that had an effect on the rubber causing it to bond to itself. Please let us know what you find.

It looks like it was pressurized from the bottom. You may be able to just push the diaphragm back down in place

Yes, but it's very soft and does not look or feel right. I got one on order from Amazon. Be all fixed Monday. (y)

Sounds like it may have been some type of chemical reaction. I wonder if bleach would have caused that

Could be, but you would think a rinse cycle would take care of that. All my searching, I never saw one installed in a standpipe. But, I believe it must have been some kind of pressure from the tank side pushed up through. That's what I am concerned about, that grey/black tank should be vented. That's my next trip, up on the roof to check the vents.

A washer standpipe is NOT one of the listed applications for a HEPvO valve - they show kitchen and bath applications only, i.e. lavatory sinks, tubs, showers, bidets, and kitchen sinks. No explanation why, but a standpipe can easily overflow onto the floor, whereas a sink or shower drain merely stays in the bowl/tub a bit longer if it drains slow. I think I would opt for a traditional P-trap for a washer standpipe.

At the end of the link that Gary provided Is a phone number of the company. I would call them and get their input before you buy another one. You probably still have time to cancel the new one from Amazon

Well, I called. They do not recommend that valve to be within 40" of the top of the standpipe. Not gonna happen in my application - so back to a P-Trap for me. :unsure:

Goes through the floor, then horizontal to tank. No way to get 40" without going higher through countertop. Don't think the DW will let me. I don't think I want that device in an open standpipe, too much risk of flooding the floor.

Back
Top Bottom