Here Comes Ernesto!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

I am safely up in Idaho, and can handle my share of Ernesto from here, just fine. We do keep our motorhome ready to go, for emergencies - of which Idaho has very few.

I imagine that if I lived in Florida, I would chicken out on hurricanes, and get out of Dodge, ahead of the excitement. So, the question to Florida folks - - What do you do? Tough it out, or take the R.V. on vacation? (Or to folks in other ?hurricane? states?)

Just curious, if anybody besides me is timid, in the face of nature?s furry.

Ray D

Ray,

Living in earthquake country, when we had the coach parked in our side yard it was always "ready to go". Unlike a hurricane or storm, there's no warning of an earthquake. Power and phones are out and roads are either damaged or extremely congested partially because traffic lights are out, so there's nowehere to go. But immediately afterwards we'd move into the coach and fire up the generator to watch TV news.

The 11:00 AM chart shows Ernesto passing right over our house on Wednesday. By tomorrow the projected path will probably be 50 miles off shore in the Atlantic. We have the MH parked by the side of the house. We usually don't lose power, but if we do we will just move into the MH after the storm passes.  For preparation we just put up the loose things and watch the storm on Satellite TV, unless the wind blows the antenna around  ???.

Wayne,

I hope you folks stay safe and well!

Tom said:
Ray,

Living in earthquake country, when we had the coach parked in our side yard it was always "ready to go". Unlike a hurricane or storm, there's no warning of an earthquake. Power and phones are out and roads are either damaged or extremely congested partially because traffic lights are out, so there's nowehere to go. But immediately afterwards we'd move into the coach and fire up the generator to watch TV news.
Tom,

Now I understand why you keep that boat right in front of your house. In case of an earthquake no worries about roads, traffic lights etc. and as I understand it provides comfortable accommodations  :)
chris

chrpennings said:
Tom,

Now I understand why you keep that boat right in front of your house. In case of an earthquake no worries about roads, traffic lights etc. and as I understand it provides comfortable accommodations :)
chris

Ah, then you have not heard of tsunamis, then?    However, Tom is safe even from that, being that he is well inside SF Bay and up in the Sacramento delta.

LOL Chris. It's actually at the rear of the house but, yes, the accomodations are very comfortable, more so than the coach. Unfortunately, the fuel consumption isn't as good  :(

Carl,

I wouldn't hold my breath if we had a tsunami!

Hurricanes are nasty enough if you are in the direct path of a big one, but most people are not and most huricanes aren't that furious either.  The last couple years have been unusually bad and it remains to be seen if they are an anomaly or a trend.

The decision to evacuate is all but impossible unless you don't mind driving all over the country side at the drop of a hat - the storm paths are simply not predictable enough until it is almost on top of you.  And one of the most commonly heard stories is of the person who evacuated from the place that turned out to be unmolested and into the place that ended up in the eye of the storm.  :'(

All in all, it's just not a real big concern to those who live there.

Carl Lundquist said:
Ah, then you have not heard of tsunamis, then?? ? However, Tom is safe even from that, being that he is well inside SF Bay and up in the Sacramento delta.

Storm surge, Carl, storm surge.

Back
Top Bottom