Here's what a cheap generator sounds like to those around you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

In the first video the truck and trailer with the offending generator were about 100' from where I was standing. In the second video (where you can also see my truck) I was standing about 20' in front of my truck so total distance to the generator about 140'

Fortunately he shut it off after about ten minutes

Attachments

• 49979BC7-9B0A-420C-8CDE-CAA1D84879F4.MOV
    303.4 KB · Views: 128
  • B73EF97D-7666-4FA2-B4A7-1C53B9E16D0F.MOV
    317 KB · Views: 54
BinaryBob said:
Where is this?
It looks like a typical Minnesota winter on the ice, sans the ice houses.

I was wondering if anyone would notice the landscape    ;)  Bonneville Salt Flats

Attachments

• E4C02859-F137-414A-8A06-687052C9C491.jpeg
    E4C02859-F137-414A-8A06-687052C9C491.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 50B5F8C3-E6E0-4148-AC79-24A0ECB573F9.jpeg
    50B5F8C3-E6E0-4148-AC79-24A0ECB573F9.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 25
SargeW said:
You should have walked over and asked him where he got such a great deal on that generator......

I almost did walk over there but that wasn't the question I had in mind  ::)

I packed up most of my stuff to move and then he shut it off. He ended up leaving an hour later

Sun2Retire said:
I almost did walk over there but that wasn't the question I had in mind  ::)

I packed up most of my stuff to move and then he shut it off. He ended up leaving an hour later

I have a "second amendment" solution for noisy generator owners. ! ;D ;D

We were camped about a hundred feet away from a neighbors portable open frame generator, it was not overly noisy but still irritating. He ran it all day to power the outdoor kitchen fridge.

We were camped at Coulter Bay in the Tetons a couple a years ago. A guy and his wife pulled in with a 30'ish ft long trailer and he pulled out this construction generator. He ran it an hour before generator hours to an hour after every day. These were pullout sites so he started out with the generator behind his rig (so it would make less noise in his site). Next day he moved the generator about 30 feet further from his rig, and closer to our site - apparently too noisy for him so lets make it louder for adjacent sites. If I'd had some cable cutters, I'd have made a disconnect for him. Probably should have removed and hidden his cable. Apparently his trailer's batteries were bad because he'd connect his brake/light cable to his truck when he wasn't running the generator. The morning I was finally going to go down to the campground office I found he'd hooked up and left.

Sun2Retire said:
In the first video the truck and trailer with the offending generator were about 100' from where I was standing. In the second video (where you can also see my truck) I was standing about 20' in front of my truck so total distance to the generator about 140'
Fortunately he shut it off after about ten minutes

Sun2Retire
I was told they purposely make generators that noisy so everyone can enjoy them. :-(

Denver Transplant said:
We were camped at Coulter Bay in the Tetons a couple a years ago. A guy and his wife pulled in with a 30'ish ft long trailer and he pulled out this construction generator. He ran it an hour before generator hours to an hour after every day. These were pullout sites so he started out with the generator behind his rig (so it would make less noise in his site). Next day he moved the generator about 30 feet further from his rig, and closer to our site - apparently too noisy for him so lets make it louder for adjacent sites. If I'd had some cable cutters, I'd have made a disconnect for him. Probably should have removed and hidden his cable. Apparently his trailer's batteries were bad because he'd connect his brake/light cable to his truck when he wasn't running the generator. The morning I was finally going to go down to the campground office I found he'd hooked up and left.
We had the identical situation about the same time but at Gros Ventre in GTNP including connecting the truck to the trailer. Same guy? Luckily he only stayed two days. Our little Honda was less noisy sitting 10? from it than his was in another campsite maybe 20-30? away.

I have a name for those construction type generators...."screamers" during hurricane season they can be heard all over the neighborhoods. The one I have for the house is a 1955 Onan 10Kw. I runs at 1800 rpm, nice and steady.Our closest neighbor is about 300 ft away and I can hear his open frame generator over top of mine...a constant reminder that we are out of power....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom