Hey Y'all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EDISTO_DREAMS

I am Sally from SC - presently serving a sentence in Northern Michigan!  My husband Ron and I are in our mid-50's and exploring our options for moving South and heading toward retirement.

Which can't come fast enough!

We have a 2000 Jayco Designer 28' 5er which we dearly love and would like to live in - also 2 cats, and I wonder what to do with the litter pan next Summer when we go on the road - even for a weekend!  Any ideas for me?

We would appreciate any advice for getting into full-timing, as well as camping with cats.  I have had a few in the past that loved it - but these two have never been!

Hi Sally, and welcome to the RV Forum.

Don't worry about the cats - they take to the road like, well, cats to a litter pan :D My latest, Hercule, when not helping me drive, sleeps on the dashboard or in my lap, or wherever else he desires. As you well know, cats are quite self-entertaining too. Originally bought carriers for my first two cats, but never used them. Didn't need to. I keep the litter pan in the bathroom, but any place where it wouldn't get underfoot would be o.k. and some people keep them in the shower stall. It doesn't slide around at all, so that shouldn't be a worry, and I prefer the Tidy Cat hard-clumping litter to the regular clay litter. Easier to keep clean and doesn't produce anywhere near the amount of dust that clay litter does. Some kind of scratching post is a necessity as well as keeping their nails trimmed. Also sugget a harness that goes around the neck and behind the front paws, and keep them leashed at all times - especially in coyote country.

Where in SC? Spent some time at Shaw AFB (Sumter) during the 60's.

Happy travelling! 

Thanks, Karl!  I was really worrying!  My hubby hates the litter pan and it's not a problem as long as we live in a house with a basement.....I especially like the idea of keeping it in the shower stall!

I also sent off for instructions on how to teach cats to use the toilet!

I'll let you know if it works.

Now I just am sitting back hanging around on the message boards dreaming of spring and summer and getting back on the road.

Sally 8)

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad you found us.  Please Join in on any of the ongoing discussions, ask questions, or start new discussions relating to the RV lifestyle.  I'm sure you will get some excellent suggestions regarding travel with cats.

Our litter plan sits in the bottom of a wardrobe closet - we leave the door slid open a bit for access.  But if your husband dislikes the litter pan, he may object to that location.

In one fifth wheel we owned, I cut out the back of a small cabinet that backed up against the front storage area, so the cat could get into that big front bay. Kept his litter up there and he also enjoyed just hiding out in there sometimes.  We also saw a motorhome (a Foretravel) that had a small door cut in the floor to let the cat go down into the basement storage area, where his litter pan lived.

Sally,

I'm going to assume from your sign in that you are from either Edisto beach or someplace near there.? We had a great time at Edisto beach a few years ago.

We use the shower for our cat's litter box.? We use one that is fully enclosed and even has charcoal filters in the top for odor control.? I rigged up a brass bar so that the shower door can be left ajar so the cat has free access.

Welcome to our forum family Sally!

We began traveling this June with a cat and a dog and they both love it.  The dog's interests center on what is outside the coach, and he lives to meet people and explore new locations.  The cat is inside centered, though he often views the outside via a sunny perch at a window.  His kitty litter is in the bedroom on the other side of a little door on the floor which is a small storage area under the WD.  We leave it propped open about 5 inches.  Any cat that is litter trained will usually follow the litter tray to wherever you place it.

We got a piece of advice from someone here on the forum (can't remember who) and it worked great for us.  Before we began traveling we lived in the RV for about 3 days with the cat.  Within 3 days he decided it was the best house he ever lived in and he is 13 years old.  I think he likes all the nooks and crannies combined with the big windows and compact living.

There are only two of us humans in this family.  Not sure how well things would work out with more humans living here.

He still runs around and sniffs, first thing when he hops out.  Lately he has learned to pick low lying oranges off the orange trees.  I had to get on his case about that.  :D

Smoky said:
He still runs around and sniffs, first thing when he hops out.? Lately he has learned to pick low lying oranges off the orange trees.? I had to get on his case about that.? ?:D

Maybe Sky is smarter than you thought since he seems to recognize that fruit is good. :D :D

Sally, if you've got a dinette (as opposed to table and chairs), the litter pans can go in there.  Just cut entrance holes in the side (if there aren't already hinged doors on them) and stow them in there.  Put some decorative material cut in about 1" slices to cover the holes.  The cats will learn to just push through the material to go in and out.

Back
Top Bottom