Hi everybody! New here, and sorta new to RVing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kursive

Joined the group to gain some info from you all.  We currently live in NY, but we're selling our home to full time RVing with our 5 boys. Our vehicle is a 2009 Ford Econoline e150, 4.6 4.10 gears, (heavy half ton). We're looking to get a 2013 keystone passport 3180Re. I'll be modifying the rear bedroom to have bunks for the boys, and Mom and I will be on the bed in the living room.  I'll be workamping and selling paintings along the way along with handyman type work and a few other work prospects.
    We are going to be "residing" in Texas, and we home school our boys ages 2-13. We're super excited to be taking this next step in our life and are eager to meet and learn from those we see!
      Any advice and info you can share is welcome, we are currently scanning many blogs and other forums too. Thanks!

That Passport 3180 has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 7500 lbs (GVWR=Unladen Weight + carrying capacity).  Your 4.6L E150 with a 4.10 rear end has a tow rating of 6500 lbs.  That 6500 lbs takes into account only full fuel and a 154-lb driver.  You are hauling an additional 6 passengers.  Estimating them at the same 154 lbs, that is some 900 lbs that needs to be subtracted from the van's tow rating, leaving a tow rating of only 5600 lbs -- to pull a trailer with a GVWR of 7500 lbs.  That is a way overloaded tow.

Oh how I wish that you had a E350 van with a 6.8L V10 or a 6.0L V8 TD. 

In the meantime, I would strongly recommend looking for a trailer with a 5600 GVWR except I suspect that you will not find one that will serve your needs -- two adults and five boys is a big crowd for an RV. 

Folks, you need an E350 van with a big gas engine or a turbo-diesel.  Your E150 is just too small for your needs.

Yeah, I figured someone would say that.  I've put a lot of thought into it... we're not big people by any means, I've compared the chasis of e350 and my e150, and they are nearly identical (frame thickness and number of leafs), granted the rates are probably different, but that would more likely affect the tongue weight mostly, the trailer will be traveling dry, and we'll be removing apx. 150lbs taking into account adding the bunks (custom built...might even do army cots). E350 has the same axle, 8 lug bolt pattern and brakes... only difference easily spotted is a 245 tire instead of a 225.
    I'm thinking the weak spot would be the 4.6, thinking of a performance programmer to boost power and monitor trans temps and engine vitals... mine has a tranny cooler too(may upsize it).  It's tough, but I'm really starting to think that Ford underrated these vans. 09's anyways. Even in 2001 the vans were alot different than 09, ours has 4 wheel disk brakes, a better trans... the 4.2 6 cyl was rated for 6500, with 191 horsepower, 4.6 has that beat.  Passport is the lightest I've found, I figure I'm not going ridiculously over our ratings, so it should still be plenty safe, add to that the extra measures I'm taking with the van.  I really wish I'd bought a 350, but this is what I've got, it'd be a bad move to start over with a new vehicle (financially). We won't be traveling interstates, and are living a minimalism lifestyle (minimal cargo) Ford really beefed up these vans in 09...just sad they're killing it.
    Appreciate your input, actually read many of your posts before signing up here lol.  If anyone can tell me specifically what is different besides spring rates on the 350's it'd be great... I need a Ford tech up in here lol!

You can perhaps argue that there is little difference between the two trucks if you like, but all these vehicles have legally acceptable limits, not only those mentioned by Carl as being safe. GVWR for both trailer and the truck itself, GCWR for both together, not to mention individual limits on axles, tires, springs etc.  Ford or other manufacturers do not dream them up because they liked the numbers.

Should you get into an accident and law enforcement and insurance people get involved, you will be in deep trouble, legally and financially. Once you are proven over limits all bets are off, your insurance company will back off so fast your head will be left spinning.

Same brakes, I'll be under my weight...I'm well aware of the load legalities... that's not exactly a warm welcome by the way. As long as I'm under 12,000 lbs I'll be fine.

It's too bad your boys don't have a choice in the matter.  You are risking their lives.

Back
Top Bottom