Hi from Charleston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizstepp

Hello!

I am new to the Forum and new to the idea of RV-ing.  I want to rent/lease an RV for 1 year and travel the US.  I have an 8 year old son and wish to homeschool him and show him the country for a year.  I do not want to buy - but renting per month seems outrageous!!  Any ideas for someone who wants to be a shortimer full timer?

Can't wait to learn all about RV-ing~

ES

Now that's a tough one to answer  :-\

Motorhomes depreciate rapidly to a point , that's why the weekly rental prices are so high ! But to lease one for a whole year ? What are they going for, 1200-1500 per week X 52 weeks = 62400-78000 !!! :eek:  Might be cheaper to buy one slightly used and then sell it after the trip. From what I can tell the major depreciation slows down in about the third or fourth year, so if it were me contemplating that year long adventure with your son, I would look into buying a 3-4 year old RV and then sell it after the adventure.

Here's a link to some sources for leases - you should be able to do better on a long term lease than the weekly rental rates, but it still isn't going to be cheap.

The point about buying and then re-selling a late model used rig being as cheap or cheaper than rental/leasing is a good one.  We will be putting our 2002 36 foot motorhome up for sale when we return home (Florida) in late October - maybe we could make a deal.  ;)

I'd think seriously about buying an older unit and then reselling it at the end of the year. And hey, you never know, you might love RVing and decide to keep the RV for summers and weekends. Run the figures and see....in the longrun, it might be cheaper to buy.

Enjoy

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please look around the forum,  join in on any of the ongoing discussions, start new discussions, or ask questions.  Thanks for joining us

As Wendy mentioned it might be more economical to purchase a used RV then sell it when finished with it.

John,

I'm not sure which link Gary omitted, but here's a list of some RV rental companies.

Sorry - I must have omitted the link. Try Innovative RV - they are in your region and seem to be flexible in their arrangements. However, I have not done business with them myself.

Here is a page of additional links to leasing and rental companies.

Back
Top Bottom