Hi from Kernersville, NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nc gasman

Hi, greetings from Kernersville, NC. As a camper trailer pulling fool I feel it necessary to move on up into the class A motorhome community. I am doing some homework during my coach search and need just a little down home information on fuel mileages. I am looking for a earlier model 1996 thru 1999 32 to 34 foot coach with a GM chassis. I am a rather conservative driver (read not a lead foot, just speed limit cruising) and have never owned such a vehicle and was just curious about actual mileage figure ranges rather than figures from a salesman. I realize there are many variables to my equation but would appreciate some honest input from fellow rv,ers with class A's in the same length catagory. 

Hi nc gasman and welcome to our forum.

My only experience with a GM motorhome chassis was a 29 foot 1985 Pace Arrow on a Chevy P30 chassis. IIRC gas mileage was something 6 mpg solo and 5.5 mpg towing a 20 foot boat or a Ford Bronco. I'm stretching my memory a little and those numbers might have been 5 and 5.5 respectively. Hopefully someone with the 199x model years can give you a better idea.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad you found us.  Please join in on any of the discussions, ask questions, or start new discussions relting to the RV lifestyle.

Been a long time since we had a Gas motorhome and I don't recall what the milage was.  I do understand that it has improved somewhat in the later models.  Ours was an 88 Bounder.

Hi Gasman,

(read not a lead foot, just speed limit cruising)

Some places in AZ have 75 mph speed limits, but I would never try to maintain that speed :) A lot of the fun is in the travel, and white-knuckling it doesn't add much to the enjoyment.

With a 38-foot '96 Bounder/Ford F53 chassis/460 c.i., I get about 6 mpg. without a toad; 5 1/4 - 5 1/2 with. There are a lot of older coaches out there that will match your needs and wants. Good hunting!

Hi Gasman,

We have a '99 Georgetown 34',F53 ford v10 and get an average of 8 miles to the gallon of gas,driving the speed limit 65+.

Our 2002 35 footer on a Workhorse chassis with a GM 8.1L gas engine gets 7.3 mpg most all of the time but once in awhile ranges as far as  6.8 and  8.1.  That's with a combined weight of about 25,000 lbs.  The Fords will be similar.

Since you are looking at 1996-99 models, I would estimate that the the 1996 end of the range will tend towards 7.0 mpg while the 1999 end will be closer to 8.0.  And in those model-years my personal choice would be a Ford chassis rather than the GM, which was the P30/P32 series at the time.  At the 1999 end, you can get a Ford chassis with the V10, an excellent combination.  If you move up a few years newer, my choice would be the new Workhorse W20/W22 series of chassis, which uses a GM powertrain in a chassis designed for motorhome use. They became available in mid 2001, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the inputs, the posts will be helpful while searching for my "new ride".

Back
Top Bottom