Hi From Minnesota...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragonfly

Hi everyone,  we are very very interested in the RVing thing.  We are a family of four...Mom (me), Dad and 2 kids (5, 3.5).  Anyway, we've done some tent camping in the summers which is great fun, but alas my back is not so great as it used to be.  We are looking into renting a pop-up camper this summer and taking that out (we will also tent camp
a few times).  Anyway,  I've been looking around for pricing, etc, but we will attempt at just the rental to begin with.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of traveling around with a camper for months at a time, but I do think that will have to
wait until the children are grown and we are retired. :) Also, the campers (even pop-ups) seem a bit on the pricey side for our budget...looks like you can't touch a pop-up for under 8K (maybe used are much more reasonable).  I love the campground atmosphere and the people are so nice and friendly even the ones in the rigs that easily cost three times what our house is worth.  :)

I just love the idea of having all my own *stuff* with me...when staying in a hotel there's always that feeling that
someone else has been using everything (and having been a housekeeped in a hotel when I was younger, you have
NO idea)...so given a choice between a hotel room or a camper with my own bedding stuff etc in it (even the tent)...I'd pick my own dirt over hotel dirt every time. :) 

Anyway, just looking to get info and eventually, hopefully become a real live RVer.  :) Storage of any type of pop-up/camper is also an issue at our house in the burbs with only a 2-car garage. Thanks a bunch and I hope to get some great ideas here. 

Dragonfly,

Welcome to you and your family. This is the friendliest place I know for RVer's, much like a virtual campground. Ask specific questions in one of our sections and someone will respond.

Many of us began in tents. I started in a poptop tent camper and really enjoyed it. we took a 4 and two year old amd mom/fr in law with us for the first week of a 30 day trip from NW Chicagoland to the tip of Nova Scotia and back. The unit was the right type, but it's quality was nil. It wasn't a lemmon, it was a grove! :'( We sold it and bought a big wall tent that we used from our big station wagon. We even took it to FL and back!

A few year later we bought a used class C mini-MH and that was great for our then 3 children. We put them asleep in bags up in the top front.

I don't know your parking situation, but our poptop didn't take much room and I could back it into anywhere!

So, welcome again, and ask away. 

Hi Minnesota,
Try a pop-up - we started that way after a brief experience with tents.  You can get pop-ups in all sizes and price ranges and used ones usually aren't expensive. In fact, I recommend starting out in used equipment, at least until you get some experience and have some idea of what you really want.  A pop-up doesn't have to be stored inside (unless your neighboirhood demands it) , so parking it in the yard is fine.  Meanwhile, try renting one for a bit and see how it goes.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad you found us. try renting a pop up andsee how it goes.  Oh and your right it is easier to take the closet with you than to pack a bag.

Back
Top Bottom