Hi from NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rick2112

Hey all. My name is Rick. My wife and I are considering a trek from California to North Carolina next June and wondering if it is possible to rent a small RV for this approx 3 week trip. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi Rick, welcome to the forum.

There are several companies nationally known that rent RVs (Cruise America is one I can think of) and there may well be some in your local area as well. I would caution you that the distance you're talking about means you'll quite likely be driving for close to two of those three weeks, noting that RV travel tends to be slower than car travel. And for that distance and time it can be rather expensive, too.

So a bit more information about what you intend to get out of this trip, whether it's visiting relatives, seeing something(s) specific at your destination(s) or perhaps general sightseeing along the way. You might also indicate any camping (tent or otherwise) and/or RV experience you have.

The most common "small RVs" from rental companies are pretty basic, since they expect a lot of folks with no idea of RV care to be renting, so don't expect luxury. But it can certainly be a fun trip.

BTW, I notice your "Location" is North Carolina, but you say "a trek from California to North Carolina" so perhaps this is a one way trip returning home from California?

In any case welcome, and hopefully we can get your question(s) more fully answered.

Hello Rick. Welcome. Are you in NC? We are in Apex, just south of Raleigh.

Hi Larry, Hi ChasA. Thanks for the replies and the greeting. I live in the Winston-Salem area, just under two hours from Apex, where coincidentally, one of my daughters lives. Small world. So, my wife and I love to travel and since covid is keeping us from flying out of country, we decided we want to do a one way rv trip to visit some places we haven't been to as well as old stomping grounds (we used to live in Phoenix).
We're thinking of flying to California, maybe Modesto or Sacramento where we would rent the vehicle and follow a route that takes us through Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley and eventually to rte 10 to hit Phoenix, Tucson, San Antonio, New Orleans (if it's still there šŸ˜”) and eventually back to NC. Yes, we don't expect it to be cheap though it will probably be less than going back to Thailand as we were hoping and I hear ya about the slow miles. May have to add a few days. Anyway, I haven't been able to find an rv rental site than can accommodate, hence my post here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ok. Now we know what's on your mind.
Search for :"RV rental" and then there are several. Some are personally owned so probably not good for one-way trips. I would try Cruise America and El Monte. I think they do one-way.

Welcome to the Forum. As Larry N. noted, RV travel is slower and more tiring than a car road trip. As a rule of thumb, I figure on doing an average of 50 mph. So 6 hours of driving time would be 300 miles. Then you'd need to add breaks for bathroom, fuel, and lunch.

Back
Top Bottom