Hi from Niagara, Ontario

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiwing

Hi all, just in process of buying our first travel trailer, a 2013 Crossroads Trail Reserve 29SS - with 4 bunkbeds in the back. It's a big trailer for our first one but we tend to dive into stuff and just "go for it". We're a family of 4, but I need an office on the road and that back room will be perfect since one lower bunk is also a table.

Camping isn't new to me, since I grew up RVing all over BC, Alberta, and the upper west coast USA. But it's been a long time.

Biggest "fears" for me are 1) backing into campsites, and 2) waste water management both black and grey, and proper maintenance of the tanks and systems, and 3) proper winterizing.

I'll be around here a lot, probably lurking mostly... I do know how to use the search button :)

Looking forward to this great new family adventure!

cheers.

Love Niagara Falls... both sides, American & Canadian. Had a BLAST up there years ago, parking my empty rig overnight for a lousy $15 in a pay lot in the center of town. Parking is ape$h!t there, especially in a big rig, too many restrictions & too much signage, all for a good reason, no doubt. But once I was parked, I pounded a few beers and then hoofed it to the Canadian side, which was actually better-landscaped than the American side, lol. Wandered around mid-afternoon and then hit the Skylon Tower, where a cold bottle of Heineken cost me about $10... beer is EXPENSIVE in Canada, lol. Watched the light show on both sets of falls, then returned to my truck and got a good night's sleep. Woke the next morning and roamed Goat Island (no serious development in those days, just trails), then took a boat ride aboard the 'Maid of the Mist'---an epic boat ride into that basin beneath Horseshoe Falls. Awesome place, Niagara Falls, gets my vote for paid tourism... dunno how much it has changed since my visit, but I understand why so many couples got married there in the past. It's a pretty cool venue...

Backing into a campsite. The best cure for the fear is expierence, alas that is not all that easy to get but here is a suggestion.. Visit a campground and get some site measurements. (Just the tow vehicle or a "Get around" car no trailer)

now visit a Major Shopping Mall After or before hours when the lot is empty
Take a bunch of "Dunce Cap" traffic cones with you
Try not to run over them

This way you get expierence and if you run over one... well that won't hurt them or the trailer.

Me.. I cheated.. Grew up on a dairy farm and some of the places I've had to back a trailer would truly scare the ..... out of you... but I did it multiple times a day so .. See the word "Expierence"

What did the trailer contain? Well backing it in air. pulling out.. Political Promises.

What did the trailer contain? Well backing it in air. pulling out.. Political Promises.
This is the best comment I've read in a long long time.

Experience for sure, which is why we didn't shy away from a big trailer for our first one. Proper planning goes a long way, and I like your suggestion about cones & an empty parking lot. We have a great big church lot right near us that would be perfect. Thank you for this.

Everything is expensive in Canada for us, especially when our dollar is low compared to the US dollar. You coming here should be a bargain! We lived in the Falls for a couple of years pre-kids, and loved it. Tons of fun. Glad you experienced it!

Congrats on your TT (travel trailer). Backing up is a slow process for me because I get out and look (GOAT system) a lot. The gross vehicle weight rating is 9,500 lbs. and the length is over 33 feet. It would be best to have a 3/4 ton tow vehicle. Using a half ton truck would be a challenge although the new Ford half tons with the 3.5 L engine should have plenty of power to pull it. The big problem is a half ton is too light to deal with the sway potential even with a an anti-sway hitch. In addition, a 33 foot TT is a huge sail that wind and passing tractor trailers will push around. What are you planning to use for a tow vehicle?

No need to buy cones. Just get some scrap pieces if 2X4” 6” long and just stand them on end. Cheap.

I know I'm pretty close to the edge of OK... '08 Tundra 4x4 SR5 TRD crew cab w 5.7 V8. My father owned this truck before and towed a 26' about 500lbs lighter for years with no issues, said it was a dream to pull with actually.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom