Hi from the Mitten State

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mama Swy

Getting back into the world of camping as empty nesters, and researching used travel trailers. Looks like I have lots of threads and posts to read. Thanks for providing such a great resource. Looking forward to learning lots!

You might want to visit campgrounds  If you are near St Clair I can check the board here at Thousand Trails for private sales (or ask Patty or Missy) and in 2 weeks I"ll be at Outdoor Adventure Davision

I can invite you to either park as a guest when I'm here.. No RV needed for a day pass.

If you are elsewhere.. Well then I can't help you as I'm scheduled for Davison/St. Clair till Nov. and then South Carolina.

Mama Swy said:
Getting back into the world of camping as empty nesters, and researching used travel trailers. Looks like I have lots of threads and posts to read. Thanks for providing such a great resource. Looking forward to learning lots!
Welcome Mama!

Thanks John from Detroit! I hadn?t thought about visiting parks! We live on the west side about an hour north of Grand Rapids. Any help from that side of the state?

Well both my memberships have parks (one of which I can use) over there but I'd not recommend 'em.  There are several state parks along the shore.  and some other places. If you find your self up north of Muskegon you can go to free music shows at the Fine Arts Camp (Blue Lake FAC?)  But I"ve not camped outside of membership anywhere save one private cg I'd not recommend for or against (kind of neutral)  Spent a lot of time at the Fine Arts Camp when darling daughter was tooting her flute there.

This response may not be what you are looking for,  but DC storage in Hudsonville, Mi has listings of motorhomes and trailers for sale.  I believe they do consignment sales.

Mama Swy,

Carefully examine your alternatives. 
If you are empty nesters, I am going to make the rash (and possibly erroneous assumption) that you are not spring chickens. 

There are two kinds of comfortable trailers:  "Bumper Tow" aka travel trailers and "Fifth Wheel".  That later can be hugerer and both can be heavy.
If you are going to tow either with your existing rolling stock, establish that weight limit early on.  Whatever you decide to use as a Tow Vehicle (TV), it will have to be equipped and prepared to do this.  If it is not, and you try to, it may cause damage very quickly that will be expensive to repair. 

Also, seriously consider how you will manage it in years to come.  I really don't know how it happened, but when I bought our coach, I could lift and throw a wheel and tire. (78#)  Now I have to figure out how to lever it up. 
So, what ever you buy should have electric stuff for jacking and leveling and be sure you maintain that stuff.....

You can actually rent a class C motorhome pretty easily.  If you have not lived in an RV before, you might just do this just to find out if you can live this way at all.  I have known of several long term marriages that could not (and some didn't) survive this test.

When you get through all of that, then try to find something used and well cared for.  That way you won't get killed by the "Off the lot" depreciation.

I wish you hours of boring travel and memories that are beyond value.  Try to take too many pictures.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilkid2025
Back
Top Bottom