Hi from the UK with lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davida

Hi everybody
Names Dave, my wifes name is Lynn and we are from Guildford in the UK, beeen lurking a while and you seem a freindly bunch so I thought I would join up.

Been RVing for 8 years and I currently own a 2006 Gulfstream Sunvoyager 8295. Very pleased with it but do prefer a Diesel to the gas engine.

We are coming out to Florida in Janurary to the RV show if anybody has any ideas for accommodation in that area please let us know.

I looking to replace the Gulfstream with a Diesel Rv but want to restrict the size to a max of 33ft , $200000 maximum price. Is there a list or comparison chart anywhere of all the models available between 28ft and 33 ft with a diesel option. Any advise anybody has on what models we should look at in that range would be gratefully recieved.

We hope to order our new Rv by February at the latest with a delivery later in the year and then have 12 months touring the US before shipping it back home to the UK.

Thanks for any help you can give me

regards

Dave

Hello Dave and Lynn. Welcome to our forum. Surrey eh? We won't hold it against you for living on the "other side" of the Severn bridge  :)

We don't have a comparative list of makes and models, but I know that a friend had a hard time finding a diesel in the floorplan he liked in anything shorter than 34 feet. Hopefully he'll see this topic and chime in with his findings (I know he looked for a long time).

You have a great plan and are following in the footsteps of others. Check out our library for some possibly useful articles; Click the Library button above and select one of the categories (e.g. Visitors to the USA).

Feel free to ask more questions and we'll try to get them answered.

I just noticed that Guildford is looking for a new CEO to run the borough, but it's too cold and wet to move there.

Hi Dave & Lynn,

Welcome to the RV Forum .  Please look around the forum,  join in on any of the on going discussions, start new discussions, or ask questions.  Thanks for joining us.

I just noticed that Guildford is looking for a new CEO to run the borough, but it's too cold and wet to move there.

That must be really cold and soggy for a Bayarean to worry about it.

LOL Carl, we've been in CA too long. We enjoy more than 2 weeks a year of sunshine  ;D

Dave, a couple of years ago I was in the market for my first motorhome.  I wanted it to be short and diesel. I found that there weren't very many choices. I started looking for a 32 foot unit and found Country Coach (more than I wanted to spend), Newmar, Monaco and Winnebago had units in either 32 or 34 foot configurations. All except the CC were in the $130 to $150 range suggested price (figure at least 25% off that price).

Except for CC they all still make a 34.  You may or may not have a problem with the fact that they are all entry level diesels, and may not have all the options that you want.

I though that the Newmar seemed a slightly better quality than the Winnebago or Monaco but I ended up selecting the Winnebago Journey 34 primarily for the floor plan. The Journey was fine, but I ended up trading for a 36 Vectra in order to get four slides and the independent front suspension. The IRS makes a big difference in driveability, at least when comparing Freightliner chassis.

I initially wanted the short chassis in order to not limit my access to state parks, and I also thought the shorter unit would be easier to drive. There are some parks which limit the length, but I now think the extra space is worth the limitation, and the longer RVs seem to ride much better. After you get used to it the additional length is not a problem.

Tom said:
Hello Dave and Lynn. Welcome to our forum. Surrey eh? We won't hold it against you for living on the "other side" of the Severn bridge? :)

Feel free to ask more questions and we'll try to get them answered.

Hi Tom
Thanks for the welcome,
I take it that you have some Welsh blood then? :D
You are certainly right about it being wet and cold.

caltex said:
Dave, a couple of years ago I was in the market for my first motorhome. I wanted it to be short and diesel. I found that there weren't very many choices. I started looking for a 32 foot unit and found Country Coach (more than I wanted to spend), Newmar, Monaco and Winnebago had units in either 32 or 34 foot configurations. All except the CC were in the $130 to $150 range suggested price (figure at least 25% off that price).

Except for CC they all still make a 34. You may or may not have a problem with the fact that they are all entry level diesels, and may not have all the options that you want.

I though that the Newmar seemed a slightly better quality than the Winnebago or Monaco but I ended up selecting the Winnebago Journey 34 primarily for the floor plan. The Journey was fine, but I ended up trading for a 36 Vectra in order to get four slides and the independent front suspension. The IRS makes a big difference in driveability, at least when comparing Freightliner chassis.

I initially wanted the short chassis in order to not limit my access to state parks, and I also thought the shorter unit would be easier to drive. There are some parks which limit the length, but I now think the extra space is worth the limitation, and the longer RVs seem to ride much better. After you get used to it the additional length is not a problem.

Hi Calex,
Yes that's what I am beginning to find. I want to restrict the size for back in Europe. Despite what people say much over 30ft in Europe limits you to? fewer destinations.

Even with our GS 30ft er we are turned away quite frequently in Spain and Italy. Perhaps with the new FRED chassis some more options will start coming on the market. I heard somewhere that GS where going to introduce a 32 ft diesel option.

With the cost of gas now in Europe? fuel consumption is a major consideration. 34 ft would be the absolute maximum I would want to consider. Driving wise the size does not bother me, access to destination home and abroad does.

Thanks for your help

Dave

davida said:
I take it that you have some Welsh blood then

Hi David, yes, 100% Welsh blood. Born and raised in (not so) sunny South Wales, so I have little sympathy for folks who complain about rain. I usually tell folks to head down the M4 for a brief stay and they'll never complain about rain again  ;D  We used to joke that it rained 366 days a year.

I was really amazed at the number of motorhomes of all shapes and sizes I saw during our recent visit to the UK. Obviously, I couldn't tell how many were being used on UK holidays vs returning from holidays on the continent, but I know where I'd be headed if I were driving one of them.

Don't forget to fire those questions at us and we'll try to get them answered. Meanwhile, I promise not to tease you about England's rugby performance.

Tom
Well we cant help where we was born, you was just unlucky :D I spent some time in South Wales at St Athen during my RAF days so I know what you mean about the rain.

I was born in Lincolnshire on the East coast and we used to joke it was only windy when it wasn't foggy. :D

I will post my other questions on the appropriate sections as they arise.

The library has some great topics to read

Thanks again

Dave

LOL David, I can see you have my sense of humour. There are worse places than St. Athens; It could have been RAF Anglesey  ;D

Hi Dave
hopefully i will be returning to Florida in January and will be staying in a Days Inn or Best Western etc ,there are plenty to chose from.While your in the area visit Lazydays its worth the experience and is going to be my first point of call.
Ian from not so sunny Cornwall

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom