Hi, I'm Neva and I'm new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
N

Neva

Hi,

I'm new to RVing and to this forum.  In fact, I'm so new, I don't own an RV yet.  I do have some questions about buying my first RV.  Like, if I plan to live in it, I'm going to need a big one.  They don't make 'em big and cheap, so, what are my options?  Smaller or used, right?  Also, what are the rules?  If I get a 40' RV, do I need a special license?

Neva

Welcome to RV Forum Neva.

If I get a 40' RV, do I need a special license?

That depends on your state, but if it were California you would if it were a travel trailer over 10,000 lbs or a 5th wheel over 15,000 lbs..  A motor home over 40 feet.

However, for a single person, a reasonable full time trailer would be in the vicinity of 26 to 30 feet or a motorhome in the mid 30s  Trailers and motorhomes are much more efficient in layout than a stick home.

Thanks Carl, I'm actually looking for a motorhome that I can live in full time for 1 to 5 years.  More realistically, it's probably going to be something between 35' and 40'.  I've been reading some of the other threads on this site and am learning a lot about RVing and motorhomes.  When searching for the RV to purchase, it sounds like the first thing I want to know about is the chassis.  Second is the engine.  Then everything else.  Does that sound right?

I think I'm going to move to the Motorhome board and ask some more questions there to see what kind of response I get.

Nice meeting you,
Neva

Hi Neva, Welcome to the forum.

The size RV you need for full-timing depends a lot on what you plan on doing (travel the whole time vs. spending 4-6 months at a time in one place), how much 'stuff' you need to have with you,  the kind of place you prefer staying, number of slide-outs.  We pretty sure the two of us can do it in our 28-foot Class A. We know a single guy who does it in a 27-foot Class C with no slideouts and another couple with a 45-foot Class A. My parents full-timed for 15 years in a variety of trailers and 5th wheels from 28-foot to 35-foot.

You probably want to visit an RV show or two and 'try on' several different RVs to see which one is right for you.

There's nothing wrong with "used", Neva. In fact, I heartily recommend it for your first Rv and probably for subsequent ones as well.  If you were buying a house, you would probably be looking at a used ones too, right?

RVs depreciate horrendously, so buying used makes a lot of sense. And new Rvs typically  have anwhere from several to 50+ problems that have to be corrected in the first year, so buying new does not assure you a trouble free home either.

As for size, better to err on the side of too large than too small. Most everybody looks at an RV and thinks "Wow - plenty of room in there" and a year or two later they are shopping for a larger rig.

Back
Top Bottom