HI! Not new to RV'ing, but new to RV Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gary41

We, Bev and I, are approaching retirement age and are considering "up grading" to a DP.? We are not going to purchase new and have set a budget of 65-70K.? We have located a 1999 Safari Zanzibar 38' w/slide, CAT diesel and the Allison 6 speed tranny.? Anyone have any comments about that "Brand" of DP?? I know that Safari is now owned by Monaco (since 2001, I think).? We are also have found a few Monaco DP's that are in reach of our budget.
Any thoughts or specific recommendations would be appreciated.? ?Also, if anyone is looking for a nice 1996 Winnebago Vectra (no slides) , Ford 460 w/Banks PowerPack, give me a shout!

Tom

Administrator
If it's any help, while we were at the Monaco service center a few months ago, they were readily supporting Safari coaches. I don't know if that applies to anyone beyond the original owner though.

Alaskansnowbirds

Site Team
gary41 said:
We, Bev and I, are approaching retirement age and are considering "up grading" to a DP.  We are not going to purchase new and have set a budget of 65-70K.  We have located a 1999 Safari Zanzibar 38' w/slide, CAT diesel and the Allison 6 speed tranny.  Anyone have any comments about that "Brand" of DP?  I know that Safari is now owned by Monaco (since 2001, I think).  We are also have found a few Monaco DP's that are in reach of our budget.
Any thoughts or specific recommendations would be appreciated.  Also, if anyone is looking for a nice 1996 Winnebago Vectra (no slides) , Ford 460 w/Banks PowerPack, give me a shout!

Gary41,

We own a '99 Zans. Have close to 50K miles on it now. It's been a good coach but they do have a couple of items to check.

Make sure it has had the "extra cooling package" installed. I had cooling problems here in Arizona before the package was installed. Haven't had any problems since. Temp holds rock solid at 190. This was covered under warranty by Safari. It consisted of new engine doors for the back. They opened up the louvers compaired to the stock doors. In the rear bumper they installed more louvers. Stock there were no louvers in the bumper. Changed the fan (new fan has one more blade than stock fan) and changed the idler pulley.

In late 2000 or early 2001 they had an ABS brake recall. Can't remember the number but can find it if you need it. It consisted of changing out a wiring harness in the ABS system.

In Dec. 2004 they also had a Bosh brake recall. I think it had something to do with the calibers. I took it into the dealer and they took care of it.

The only other issue I've had is stress cracks in the windshields. We've had the drivers side replaced once since we've owned it and the passenger side is getting ready to be replaced for the second time.

This sounds like a lot of problems but we've had it for six years and really it's been trouble free except for the recalls.

The 3126B engine has been rock solid. I run the Silverleaf VMSpc hooked up all the time and have averaged 9mpg over the 50K miles.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Top Bottom