High AC bill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srjordan1

I just read the thread on RV Acs increasing the bill, but I never thot keeping the 24ft with slide out would increase my home AC bill by $160....our kw is 10cents per. Might consider keeping slide closed while its parked at home. Any suggestions?

RVs are poorly insulated and often leak air as well (e.g. gaps around slides). Are you comparing power use to the same RV without the a/c on, or is $160 total cost for having the RV plugged in? And what was the thermostat set to? Was fridge on?

$3/day @ 10 cents/kwh is 30kwh of consumption, suggesting the a/c was running 24 hours/day. They use 1.3-1.4 kw/hr as long as the compressor is operating (cooling). But if the fridge was on as well, that easily adds 0.3 kw/hr. So please tells us more.

My understanding is when power is plugged in, it runs fridge, yes fridge is on. I will preface this with, it is hotter this year and earlier, clearly everywhere, than in past years...The $160 was more after the RV came to live here, than our home AC was $160 lower. I think this must be to be continued as we need to close slide, cover windshield, tun down or off the fridge and then see what next months bill reveals. Not sure what your $30/day means, but $160 divided by 30 is $5.33 daily. A good test needs to be done. Thank you so much

Wjy are you running the RV air? U less your living in it it just seems silly to me. Now, if your concerned about humidity, go buy a big dehumidifier and run that until your ready to depart.

Sounds close to me.. RV's are not well insulated so the A/C works hard to keep 'em cool and can heasly draw. well let's see 30,000 watt hours or more in a day times 30 days that's 900 kwh. a month. My Apartment used less than 20 KWH a day last month. (19.1) so I'd say that amount (about 50% more than my bill for Gas (Almost none) and electric combined) is reasonable.

I know when I had the Motor home at the house it sure kicked the bill up. And I only ran A/C about 1-2 hrs a day.

Wjy are you running the RV air? U less your living in it it just seems silly to me. Now, if your concerned about humidity, go buy a big dehumidifier and run that until your ready to depart.
cause its so new to us that sometimes we go out in evening w/ cocktail and watch the news. And, yes, we are in high humid weather in south louisiana. Will certainly check into big dehumidifier....how big is big. No more AC 24/7 for sure. we did put a large fan inside and I wanted to close the slide, but hubby thinks it would not make a diff.

Isn't an A/C the same as a dehumidifier with the added benefit of exhausting the hot air to the exterior instead of inside?

I wouldn't think the operational costs of a dehumidifier large enough to do the job would be much different that the A/C. And it won't give you the comfort level for your cocktails and news.

A quote from this website:

"Is It More Energy Efficient to Use a Dehumidifier Than A/C?

Probably not. Since both systems use a compressor and basically work the same way, they use about the same amount of electricity to operate, so your energy bills aren’t likely to show much of a difference — assuming you would run an air conditioner for the same amount of time each day that you run a dehumidifier."

I wanted to close the slide, but hubby thinks it would not make a diff.
The electric usage is related to the square feet so closing the slide would reduce the bill. But not by the same proportion. When the compressor and fan kicks in is when the highest electric draw occurs. We sometimes like to watch a movie in the RV at home so we turn the A/C (or heat) on an hour before we go out.

Back
Top Bottom