High winds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueD

OK, ready for my first question.? We're heading over to Indio in a few days and in checking the weather channel there's a high wind advisory posted until 2pm Tuesday.? How high is too high to be safely driving pulling a toad?? (Remember, we're newbies.) We do have the Howard Steering whatchamacallit thing and I know Tim has said it has made a world of difference; however, we have not been anywhere with it since we hooked up the toad.?

Thanks for answers in advance.

SueD

Sue

I have never driven to Indio from Phoenix when the winds were too high to safely stay on the road. There have been times when I had the steering wheel cranked hard into the wind and you want to make sure your awnings are secure so that they don't billow out. Other than that, you should be fine.

Keep 'em coming. :)

If there is a high wind advisory it will be posted as you enter CA.  I have seen parts of I-10 closed to large vehicles in CA but the winds have to be really strong.  I don't see anything in the near term forecast like that.

Hi SueD,

The winds have been in the 20MPH range most of today in Yuma.  Last time I looked the winds are suppose to be up tomorrow.  I wouldn't think they are to high to make it dangerous but might be uncomfortable for the driver.  I would call the highwy departments for AZ and CA for information and wind advisories.

Hi SueD

With the Howard system you should have no problem with the winds as forecast for the next two days. As for a comfort level as to when to pull over, my suggestion is that if you become uncomfortable, it is time to wait for the winds to die down. This isn't always practical if you are on a schedule so the next best is to just slow down. As already mentioned, if the winds really become dangerous Ca. post warnings on the highway.

Jerry Ray
RV School

Hi Sue,

The winds in Yuma were really steady today but not so bad I wouldn't drive my motor coach. It would have required all of my attention but not a dangerous situation. If you head out and find the winds too heavy, pull over and wait it out! I'm hoping they will subside before we leave on Wednesday. ;D ;D

Hi Sue,
Just a note to remind everyone who pulls over due to high winds causing lack of visibility (and that includes white-outs, smoke, and fog too), pull well off the highway and TURN OFF YOUR LIGHTS. You don't want someone seeing your taillights and thinking you're still travelling on the road, and ramming into the back of you. High winds can be a bit of a white-knuckler at times, but today's coaches are built to rock, but not roll.  Safe trip!

Karl

Although this is an older post, I drive the Mohave all the time (15 and 40). When the semi's pull over, you pull over. They know best, they do it for a living.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom