Highway 260 from Camp Verde to Payson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelmyer

Actually I want to go from Camp Verde to Pie Town via 260 & 60.  I think from looking at the map and previous discussions that once I get to Payson it's ok.

Anybody ever stayed at the Luna Lake Natl Forest Campground?

We're in Durango.  Did the little train short trip today.  Drive the loop tomorrow.  See ya'll on the 28th.

Joel

Joel,

We'll be in Blanding until Friday if you want to stop for a day or so.

Ned said:
Joel,

We'll be in Blanding until Friday if you want to stop for a day or so.

You'll be at Moab won't you? A couple of topics at least I'd like to discuss. (Camp Verde, Hiway 260, blogs, and like that)

Joel

Hey, Joel,

We were in Durango today, also. Unfortunately, it was to work.

When are you leaving Dgo for Moab? We're leaving Cortez on Friday.....with luck by noon, no luck maybe around 4:00 LOL. Gas here is the same price as Durango but Utah is 10-15 cents cheaper.

Yep, we'll be in Moab on Friday for 9 days.  See you then if not before.

Joel,

Are you referring to Luna lake Campground near Alpine, AZ?  I have stayed there a couple of times.  It doesn't have any facilities.  The best state runcampground in Arizona, IMHO,is Fools Hollow campground just west of Show Low. 

If you want to stay closer to Alpine, The National Forest campground at Big Lake is very nice.  They were building a new campground loop last year but I don't know if they finished it yet.

Jake

Jake said:
The National Forest campground at Big Lake is very nice.
Jake

Thanks Jake,

You're talking about Rainbow Campground?

I'm looking for a place for a couple of nights while I drive the Alpine Az, Luna NM Loop. Alpine down the AZ/NM border almost to I-10 - then back up to Luna.

Luna Lake Campground seems to be on that Route, Rainbow is off in the wilderness.

I can deal with no facilities for a couple of nights.

Fools Hollow Campground at Show Low, I may check that out.  My plan is a week or so between Camp Verde and Pie Town.

Joel,
Yes, I was thinking of Rainbow Campground at Big Lake. If you do stay at Luna Lake, be sure to take a drive on the back roads around dusk.  There are big herds of elk in the area.  In fact, my son got his first elk a few years ago within about 3 miles of Luna Lake. Also give the Bear Wallow restaurant in Alpine a try. It's probably the only restaurant open there.

The Fools Hollow Lake Campground is off of 260 about 2-3 miles west of Show Low.  Their sites have water and electric hook-ups.  The showers and toilet facilities are quite nice too.
Jake

Joel.

I did it a few years ago pulling a pop-up with my Bronco.  My Bronco had over 100,000 miles and it didn't always downshift on climbing the hills. I felt I was holding up traffic. After that trip, I came back and traded for a new pick-up.  As I recall, Route 260 is a pretty good road and the scenery is very good too.  There may be some sharp turns but nothing that would stop me from pulling my 28' travel trailer on that route if  it was in the direction I wanted to travel. 

Route 260 between Camp Verde and Payson follows the old General Crook Trail that was used to supply troopers at Camp Verde.  The trail used to go from Camp Verde to somewhere in New Mexico I believe.

Jake

Jake,

Ft. Apache to the east and Ft. Defiance north of Window Rock are still in AZ. the closest in NM would have been Ft. Wingate that became a storage depot.

joelmyer said:
Have you driven 260 from Camp Verde to Payson?

Joel,

260 from Camp Verde to Payson is good road. They have done a lot of work on 260 between Camp Verde and where it meets SR87. It's a climb like going any direction out of Camp Verde but on the steep grade areas they have put in passing lanes. As you go south on 260/87 to Payson it gets a little windy through Strawberry and Pine but nothing that would keep you from going that way.

When will you be in Camp Verde?

Alaskansnowbirds said:
When will you be in Camp Verde?

Don & Peg,

Thank you for the input on 260.

We've changed our plans and are doing this trip counterclockwise.  That gives us more time to mess around Northern Az.

When will we be in Camp Verde?  Well we have reservations in Torrey through May 14th, and want to be in Pie Town around the end of May.  So late May is my best answer now.

I'm looking at Rancho Sedona as a base camp.

Joel

Back
Top Bottom