Highways 1 and 101 from SF to Newport, OR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

We are thinking of driving from SF to Newport, Or along highway 1 in CA and 101 in OR.  What are the things we should not miss along this drive.  Just looking for ideas.

Redwoods National Park and a whole lot of great lighthouses. Go a little further NE to McMinnville and see the Spruce Goose.

Wendy

We have not seen 1 in CA, came in from Reno, skirted around SF at 3 on a Friday afternoon (was not about to test the madness) and took the 101 north from Petaluma. As Wendy says, the redwoods are outstanding and the drive north of Eureka is very scenic. Spend some time at the dunes in Florence. Just north of Newport is Beverly Beach State Park, one of the nicest cg's we stayed at.

Assume you're taking the trailer.  CA 1 is twisty and turny which makes it not so much fun in an RV.  That's the bad news.  :( The good news is that northbound you're on the inside edge so the passenger isn't looking down the cliff edges.  :)  Definitely don't miss the Avenue of the Giants and Richardson Grove State Park where there are groves of coastal redwoods.  Between Fort Bragg and Willetts is The Skunk Train, a narrow-gauge railroad that goes between CA 1 and US 101 through redwood forests.  It's a fun ride.  Ferndale, near the Oregon border, is a town well-known for its Victorian homes.  The whole area is beautiful.  If you're a golfer, Benbow Inn used to have a golf course in a pretty setting.  Near Bolinas Bay is the Point Reyes National Seashore where they believe Sir Francis Drake came ashore.  Geyserville is known for hot springs - don't know if they're still open.  Fort Ross was settled by the Russians and their cultural influence is still evident.  My brain has turned to mush tonight because I can't remember the name of a really cute little coastal fishing village where a hotel overlooks the small bay (Noyo Harbor near Fort Bragg?).  In other words, yes both CA 1 and US 101 are pretty and interesting.  There are a few stretches of CA 1 that don't have much to see except the ocean but interspersed are the neat and fun places.

ArdraF

It is a fantastically scenic drive but I would only take it after I read about how I believe it was either Tom or Gary scratched his coach before you take the 1!

Thanks for all the replies.  I should have said that we are not taking the trailer on this trip.  We are driving a mid size vehicle and have made a time share condo exchange in OR.  I've printed off a visitor guide regarding the Redwood National Forest and will take that along. 

Wendy, we saw the Spruce Goose when it was in Long Beach but I wouldn't mind seeing it again.  Thanks for the suggestions.

I was looking at The Redwood Forests on Google Earth and notices that there is a highway 254 called the Avenue of the Giants that runs parallel to the 101.  We were wondering if anyone has driven it and is it a more scenic drive than the 101 through the Humbolt National Forest? Again, we are in a car this time, no trailer.

The Avenue of the Giants is beautiful!  It's definitely a take your time kind of road among the redwoods.  We've driven it in smaller motorhomes, although not recently so don't know about the road condition.  You can camp at the Humboldt Redwoods State Park which is on it.  You can explore the Founders Grove Nature Trail, the 32 mile Avenue of the Giants Auto Tour, and the Humboldt Redwoods Visitor Center.  Those trees are awesome!

ArdraF

Avenue of the Giants (CA 254) is the old road through the forest, since bypassed by the freeway.  By all means take it if you have the time!  There are numerous turnoffs where you can walk into the redwoods if you wish. Look for the information sign on the freeway about a mile before either end of the drive.

CA 1 will be slow going, expect to average about 30 MPH over most of it's length north of San Francisco.  It's essentially the same as when it was constructed in the 1930s, narrow lanes and lots of turns and switchbacks as it winds along the coast.  I don't recommend it for RVs but it's fine for a car.

Plan on taking a full day to get from San Francisco to Ft. Bragg along CA 1, two if you want to spend any time at all exploring the area. 

Ft. Ross State Park, between Jenner and Gualala, is a restored Russian fur and lumber trading post, as far south as the Russians came in the early 1800s.

Ardra's fishing village is Mendocino,  just south of Ft. Bragg.  Almost all of the Village is a National Historic Site and has been used in numerous Hollywood productions including filling in for "Murder She Wrote"'s fictional hometown of Cabot Cove, Maine. 

The hotel overlooking the harbor is the Harbor Light Lodge in Fort Bragg.  The Ft. Bragg harbor and pier has also been used in many films, including the 1966 film "The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming".  It hasn't changed much since then, except the highway bridge now spans the cliffs at the harbor mouth.

Definitely not to miss - Winchester Bay in Oregon.  Just THE perfect place to hang out.  Terry (at home in UK)

We are looking at that as part of a big....HUGE trip we are planning upon our joint retirement on May 1, 2012...from Florida.

Those that are familiar with current 1/101 highways, with a 33 ft MH and toad, how much of Hwy 1 is accessible? We are looking at the section from Cloverdale or Willits to Legget on Hwy 1. (I actually grew up in Scotia but that was quite a few years ago so not sure about it now.)

Yes, I am taking my Floridian wife to the redwoods and - per my memory - the Avenue of the Giants is really fantastic. With trees that are 2,000 years old, the 50 years that I have been away will be nothing!

Thanks,

Scobey

With that size rig, you shouldn't have any problems from Leggett south to CA 128, including through Ft. Bragg and Mendocino.  There are some twisty parts, but if you take your time you should be OK.

Either CA 20 or 128 will get you back to 101.  Of the two, 128 is the easier drive.

You want to avoid taking the motorhome between Gualala and Bodega Bay.  I'd get a site at either the Manchester KOA or one of the campgrounds in Bodega Bay and take the toad over that stretch.  It's spectacular and Ft. Ross State Park in the center is worth the trip.

And also pass on CA 1 south of Stinson Beach, where it goes up and over the coast range to join 101 north of the Golden Gate Bridge.  But you could make a base camp in Olema and use the toad to explore Pt. Reyes National Seashore.  And take a trip to the top of Mt. Tamalpais, which at 2000 ft. offers a panorama of the Bay Area.

Went north on 1 many years in a tractor and 53 foot trailer,no problem just don't be in a hurry it is a spectacular drive, enjoy!

Just finished the trip!  ;D :'(  The views were worth the drive.  Glad I was in a small car.  The transmission sure went through the gears on highway 1.  Probably wouldn't do it again as it is very time consuming.  On the other hand, I'm not sorry we did it once.  This segment completed our  ventures along the entire west coast from Chula Vista to NW Washington. We did the rest a couple of years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom