Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Propane refrigerator not working on Norcold model

It may have experienced a thermal shutoff. To reset the circuit remove the cover outside the rig near the refrigerator and if you see an led indicator showing that it is in shutoff mode it can be reset by putting a magnet over that led and slowly slide it to the right. If you listen carefully you will hear a click as the switch rests. The propane refrigerator should then fire right up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Propane refrigerator not working

It may have experienced a thermal shutoff. To reset the circuit remove the cover outside the rig near the refrigerator and if you see an led indicator showing that it is in shutoff mode it can be reset by putting a magnet over that led and slowly slide it to the right. If you listen carefully you will hear a click as the switch rests. The propane refrigerator should then fire right up.

Do now know if you are an Original post or a reply on Refrig not working
Your directions are proper for a NORCOLD that has the recall done or post recall.
NOTE the top part of the box is, as I recall the reset (Done one)

On a Dometic it's a small push button on the Chimmney part on the right. PUSH hard.

I was responding to tips and tricks - or that was my intent. You are completely correct that my advice applies only to Norcold after recall. Sorry for any confusion.

I was responding to tips and tricks - or that was my intent. You are completely correct that my advice applies only to Norcold after recall. Sorry for any confusion.
I've worked on Norcold that needed a reset (Which is how I know that)
And owned a Dometic (Which is how I know that).
And of course some folks somehow manage to have a "None of the above" They are on their own :)

No harm.

The common advice is to check your tire pressures before leaving your campsite for the next leg of your trip.
Good advice, but I also check my tire pressures the next morning after arriving at the campsite if I will be there a few days. That way, if there is a problem I have several days to get it fixed without interfering with my itinerary. Nothing worse than finding a slow leak right before you are getting ready to go.

Use a cheap exercise mat ($10 at walmart) to lay on while inspecting the underside of the rig. Saves the clothes and your skin from snags, thorns, rocks, and such.

My biannual inspection involves that exercise mat. I crawl under the rig with a flashlight and mechanics mirror looking in every nook and cranny for anything amiss. I often find a small branch or pebble lodged someplace from backing into a boondocking site. Remove it before it rubs through something.

Part of the inspection is using zipties to secure wires running under the rig. Every new RV has wires sagging underneath that could catch on anything and get pulled loose. I tie up every wire and cable so there is nothing to catch. Zipties have more uses than duct tape. I carry a range of sizes and types as part of my kit.

Speaking of duct tape... (nice segue) the 4" wide roll is more secure for big jobs than the 1.8" width. You can always tear it narrower if needed. 6 and 8 inch rolls are also available, but is getting hard to unpeel and handle for the rare times you need it that wide.
Same for 550 paracord that many people carry. 750 paracord is a little harder to find (look online) but is 50% stronger for less than 0.5mm thicker. There is also 850 and 1150 paracord, but then the rolls start getting bigger and is harder to use.

I can never remember all the capacities, weights, dimensions, settings, etc for my rig. So I have all those in a document on my phone. I usually have my phone with me or close at hand. Saves having to find the manual and thumb through it to look up a setting or value.

I can never remember all the capacities, weights, dimensions, settings, etc for my rig. So I have all those in a document on my phone. I usually have my phone with me or close at hand. Saves having to find the manual and thumb through it to look up a setting or value
^^This.

I took pics of the fuse diagrams, circuit diagrams and recommended fluids from my Ford and GBM manuals, to have them handy.

One suggestion on the smoke detector.... Invite the cigar smoking friend OUTSIDE the motor home and remove the detector to the outside for the test... That way the rig don't smell of cigar for the next way too long.

For water spiogts and a few other things as well. Get a small pump spray bottle (Most drug stores have them, as do dollar stores) and fill with bleach water, Just a "Cap full" for the small bottle is more than enough. Spritz the spigiot at the park before you start to get your hoses out. it will be nice and sanatary when you hook up.... No matter what the dog ... Or it's master... Did before you arrived.

Also useful when you need to clean up an unsanatary mess.. Germs consider Bleach to be... Well, let's just bugs like Raid Better.
I keep a jug of bleach in the plumbing bay for . . . unfortunate incidents.

Back
Top Bottom