Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One suggestion on the smoke detector.... Invite the cigar smoking friend OUTSIDE the motor home and remove the detector to the outside for the test... That way the rig don't smell of cigar for the next way too long.

For water spiogts and a few other things as well. Get a small pump spray bottle (Most drug stores have them, as do dollar stores) and fill with bleach water, Just a "Cap full" for the small bottle is more than enough. Spritz the spigiot at the park before you start to get your hoses out. it will be nice and sanatary when you hook up.... No matter what the dog ... Or it's master... Did before you arrived.

Also useful when you need to clean up an unsanatary mess.. Germs consider Bleach to be... Well, let's just bugs like Raid Better.
Add a cap-full or 2, of dish washing soap to your mix. It gives the solution a longer hang time. Just cup your hands full of water to rinse the faucet before hooking up your water line.

I thought I would add a trick that doesn't make much sense but worked for us. We have a older Class C that we take to Florida from Ohio every winter for 2 to 5 weeks. This past winter was colder than normal and for the first time we emptied the propane tank a few days before heading home. I thought it would be good to have a full tank for the journey home, so went to a local hardware store in Deland Fl. and the attendant who seemed versed in filling tanks could not get the tank to take any propane, so the next day I tryed another store with the same results, I left scratching my head and decided to drive home knowing we would spend the night around Tennessee but knew I had a small ceramic heater to keep us warm while sleeping.
Long story short when I got home I went to our local propane dealer, the 1st attendant had the same issue, then a younger employee said have to tried opening the valve letting propane into the system (Fridge/furnace/ stove? so I opened it and whaa laww it filled completely, who knew?

Cheap, easy, portable, night lights.... LED votives/tea lights. They are self powered (no plug in to 12 VDC or AC). I get them in bulk from Amazon and look for the ones with built in timers (8 hour preferred. I've seen 4 and 6 hour too.). Also get a card or 2 of replacement batteries. If the timer isn't long enough, you can get ones with no timers, or put out 2 and stagger the time you turn them on the first time. Generally a battery lasts 2 or 3 months in the timed ones.

Cheap, easy, portable, night lights.... LED votives/tea lights. They are self powered (no plug in to 12 VDC or AC). I get them in bulk from Amazon and look for the ones with built in timers (8 hour preferred. I've seen 4 and 6 hour too.). Also get a card or 2 of replacement batteries. If the timer isn't long enough, you can get ones with no timers, or put out 2 and stagger the time you turn them on the first time. Generally a battery lasts 2 or 3 months in the timed ones.

C'mon SLO, no fair. You can't post this without pictures, or at least a link to them. It's the rules!!

The one time they had problems putting propane in my RV's tank the attendent snagged the emergency shut off cable when he pulled the hose out of the cabinet.. In short he shut the pump off... Naturally it would not fill.

C'mon SLO, no fair. You can't post this without pictures, or at least a link to them. It's the rules!!
Here are the larger sized one:

and the smaller ones:

I've been know to pull the wick out of an existing wax pillar candle and bore a cavity to fit one of these, as well.

I also found ?Bubble Level? Apps on the phone and IPad are good surface bubble levels, easier than any other level I have found, just lay the phone on the floor. They also show degrees, which is useful for determining if it is safe to start the refrigerator
Byron Woods
Thanks Byron.. I'm going to download "Bubble Level" for my Iphone now...
Butch

Do you guys with the battery powered compressors get the tank-less or the ones with the 1gal. tank?
Thank you.. Butch

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but these adhesive backed button lights work great for storage compartment, closets or other non-lighted places... They were on sale for $5 a week or so ago...
Butch

This new topic will feature a series of hints, tricks and gadget/tools that you may have in your kit bag of experience. You are probably proud of some, being the originator.

You are encouraged to post any item that comes to mind. There must be a multitude of them between us. They should be especially helpful for the Newbies and of course to Old-timers as well.

Many of them are currently buried in old posts as well as in the library, but are hard to find in one place. We will most likely get duplications but your idea may have a twist to it, making it a valid entry. Attaching images will be appreciated to make the point.

It is important to keep it to ?small? items (see below), not engine overhaul, carpet replacement etc.

This is a bit of an experiment, but has been sanctioned by the forum management.

I will make the first post in a format that I think will work easily, below.

Hint: Smoke Alarm: ? is it really working? Not just by pushing the test button to find out.
Invite your cigar-smoking neighbor over and have him blow a good whiff of smoke directly into the detector. That?s called a dynamic test.
The CO (carbon monoxide) and the propane detectors probably can be tested the same way, I?m not sure. Maybe someone can confirm that.

Trick: Low water-flow in galley sink?
Remove the aerator from the spigot, clean the screen and remove/discard the water saver washer. Water usage will stay the same.

Gadget/Tool: A quick battery and alternator/charger tester.
This little tool features 6 colored LED lamps showing voltages @ 15.0, 14.0, 13.5, 12.5, 12.0 and 11.0 volts DC. Just apply to battery terminals with and without charger/alternator in use. (RS: 22-112). Image attached below.

carson FL

P.S.: Is this project gonna fly? ???
Thanks for posting the tricks.

The last thing I would do is have my cigar smoking neighbor come in my rv and blow smoke into my detector. Same with cigarettes. My DW is allergic to that kind of smoke and the smell will linger for a while. Yes I use to smoke. Stopped cold turkey in 1979

The common advice is to check your tires before leaving. That never made sense to me. If there is a problem with a tire, you now have to delay your departure.
I always check my tire pressures, lug nut torque, and general visual inspection of my entire undercarriage the next morning after I set up camp. That way if there is a problem I have several days to fix it without disrupting my schedule.
A cheap yoga mat from Walmart saves my clothes and back while underneath the rig.

Google Earth is your friend. When planning fuel stops, I check the station layout on google earth. Not all stations are RV friendly, and GE lets me see in advance which of the many possible stations are easiest to get into. The street view lets me see which entrance to use. "Use the second driveway past the red brick building."
Also, when checking out possible new boondocking sites on a map, the GE historical satellite views may show other RVs in the same spot. If they made it then I have more confidence my rig can negotiate the roads into the area.

Re: Checking tires. Yes checking them post arrival at a campsite gives you time to fix any issues that developed on the road..> Checking as part of your departure check list gives you a chance to fix anythign that happened while you were parked.. and I've had it happen that I parked all was good.. 2 weeks later all was NOT good.

This new topic will feature a series of hints, tricks and gadget/tools that you may have in your kit bag of experience. You are probably proud of some, being the originator.

You are encouraged to post any item that comes to mind. There must be a multitude of them between us. They should be especially helpful for the Newbies and of course to Old-timers as well.

Many of them are currently buried in old posts as well as in the library, but are hard to find in one place. We will most likely get duplications but your idea may have a twist to it, making it a valid entry. Attaching images will be appreciated to make the point.

It is important to keep it to ?small? items (see below), not engine overhaul, carpet replacement etc.

This is a bit of an experiment, but has been sanctioned by the forum management.

Hint: Smoke Alarm: ? is it really working? Not just by pushing the test button to find out.
Invite your cigar-smoking neighbor over and have him blow a good whiff of smoke directly into the detector. That?s called a dynamic test.
The CO (carbon monoxide) and the propane detectors probably can be tested the same way, I?m not sure. Maybe someone can confirm that.

Remove the aerator from the spigot, clean the screen and remove/discard the water saver washer. Water usage will stay the same.

This little tool features 6 colored LED lamps showing voltages @ 15.0, 14.0, 13.5, 12.5, 12.0 and 11.0 volts DC. Just apply to battery terminals with and without charger/alternator in use. (RS: 22-112). Image attached below.

carson FL

For the smoke detector test, you can purchase "canned smoke", a tool used by alarm professionals. This

carson FL

For smoke detector testing, you can purchase "canned smoke" from places like Amazon or Ebay. This is what is used by alarm professionals and does not have an odor like you cigar smoking friend. I also suggest a can of "duster" air used for computer keyboards and the like to blow out the detector chamber once the test is completed.
If you have any doubt of the integrity of the smoke detector as working... replace it. It's not worth risking your life or the lives of your family due to a fairly inexpensive part.

carson FL

The fact that your tester is from Radio Shack makes miss that place.

Back
Top Bottom