Hiway 60 Show Low to Globe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron from Big D

Moderator Emeritus
All:

Anyone have some good information related to traveling Hiway 60 from Show Low to Globe.  I will be visiting Bob & Bev Maxwell before heading to Quartzsite.  Like to take a few miles off and considering crossing Hiway 60.  I have been through here years ago, but in a car.  Seems that the road is very twisty and with grades around Phillys Canyon and Mule Hoof Canyon.  Will check my mountain grades book to verify, but want to know the chances of snow or ice in that area and if it is hard with a 40 foot coach.

Thanks for your help.

Ron,

Route 60 between Show Low and Globe is decent as to road surface quality and width.  However, their are very steep mountain grades, particularly while descending and exiting the Salt River Canyon.  If you take it slow and use your lower gears, you should be alright.  The view is spectacular, almost like going down into the Grand Canyon.  As I recall, Route 60 on the North side of the river (Show Low side) has fewer and shorter passing lanes.  On the South side of the river (Globe side) it is dual laned  several miles all the way up from the river. I have not driven this route for about 8 months or so. 

I pull my TT between Phoenix and Show Low frequently and I generally go through Payson rather than Globe.  The scenery is also outstanding but entirely different.  It also has mountain grades but not as severe. 
Jake

If you do take 60 out of Socorro, do stop at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (also known as the Very Large Array) about 60 miles west of Socorro.

Ned said:
If you do take 60 out of Socorro, do stop at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (also known as the Very Large Array) about 60 miles west of Socorro.

I really agree with Ned's recommendation on this.  One year Terry wanted to stop and I thought  ho hum, telescopes, what's the big deal? Well let me tell you this was an impressive sight.  Be sure to watch the little video and take the walking tour of the area.  I was blown away! 
Betty

Thanks for all the comments and the recommendation to go through Payson.  I particularly wanted to go this way because of the spectacular views that I remember slightly.  Wanted to stop and get some photos if there are pull-outs or places to park in the canyon area.

We have seen the large array of dishes before, but have not stopped to tour.  Might just do that this time.

Please send any additional information about the driving.  Also, are there any campgrounds near the canyons that would enable me to either get late afternoon or early morning photos?  Want to make the trip as useful as possible.

Ron,
Just west of Show Low off Highway 260 is Fool Hollow State Park.  I believe they keep one section open all year that has water and electrical hook-ups.  It is a nice camping site.  they have nice shower/toilet facilities too. If you do a search on Fool Hollow (sometimes listed as fools hollow state park), you should be able to obtain detailed info on the Campground.  It is within 2-3 miles of the junction of Highway 260 to Payson and Highway 60 to Globe.
Jake

Ron,

For Fool Hollow State Park check out:
http://www.pr.state.az.us/Parks/parkhtml/foolhollow.html
I have never camped there, but I heard it is nice. I have stayed a commercial RV Park on the West side of town on RT 260 about a mile and half from the junction of 60&260 (Venture Inn RV Resort) This is a Seasonal place with many park models, but has a section for transients. Nothing special, but easy.

I would also recommend the Payson route. If you have the time drive the car down Rt60 into the Salt River Canyon 44 miles from the Junction of Rt60 and Rt260).
Again I would agree that you should stop at the VLA. Well worth the stop (Sheila enjoyed also)

Just west of Datil is a National Recreation Area Campground. Small and dry camp, but some sites would take your size rig. About the only place I know of from Socorro to Springerville, AZ, although there was an OLD campground in Pie Town (but I would recommend it)

But do stop in Pie Town at the restaurant on the south side of the road for PIE!

Remember Pie Town is near the continental divide and is about 7,000 ft (much of 60 is above 6,000, although the road is fairly flat in NM (gradual climbs)

ken

Thanks Jake & Ken for your input.  I'll take it under advisement.  Seems that Globe is a lot closer to the canyon.  Would be nice place for me to stop, but doesn't look like there is an easy way around the canyon and into Globe.  Wonder what the drive time is from Belen, NM?  I guess I could visit the Array on the way, stop where you recommend and go photo shooting that evening and the following morning with the car.  I could use the evening run to scope out the scenery and do the shooting the next morning.

Oh yes!  What about the chances or snow or ice in January?

Salt River Canyon is steep, but very scenic. I had no trouble with my 40 footer+toad in April 2001( or thereabouts) It was a year of good winter rain and the wildflowers on the canyon walls were grand.

No knowledge of winter conditions.

Ron from Big D said:
I could use the evening run to scope out the scenery and do the shooting the next morning.

That'll work so long as the direction of the morning sunlight works for the scenes you want to shoot and scoped out in late afternoon sunlight :).  But, I'm sure you've got that under control, Ron.

Doug

Ron, your intention to photo shoot in Salt River Canyon motivated me to dig into my archives where I found the attached image (reworked from a version I had processed for printing).

Ciao,

Doug

Attachments

• south rim (Small).jpg
    south rim (Small).jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 46
DougJ said:
Ron, your intention to photo shoot in Salt River Canyon motivated me to dig into my archives where I found the attached image (reworked from a version I had processed for printing).

Ciao,

Doug

Doug,

Great shot!!! Looks like the  Grand Canyon. :) I see why you had it framed.

Doug:

That's a much bigger ditch than I will be shooting on this trip.  Nice shot.

It may turn out, that I have to wait till mid-day.  The sun angle this time of year is very low.  There might be very limited light down in the canyon or it might be perfect shooting without the contrasty light.  We'll see.

Thank you Ron, Ron and Jim for your appreciation of the pic.

Yes, it is the south rim of the Grand Canyon.  Taken soon after noon--I had taken the train from Williams to the south rim, which is a lovely trip in itself.  Of course with a noon shot you don't get anything as moody as you would with morning, evening, or in a weather event; but, you can get some great colour.

As for framing, Jim, the photo corners frame (done with an action in PS) makes it a bit snap shot-ish; yet this works for sharing among friends.  I hate to show a pic unless it is framed in some fashion.

Anyway gentlemen, have a great Christmas season.  May be Santa will bring you a digi-pic toy. ;D

Ciao,

Doug

Doug,

Nice touch with the framing. Hope you, also, have a great Christmas holiday. Santa already brought my gift.....a 2X extender for my 100-400 lens. :) :)

Jim Dick said:
Doug,

Nice touch with the framing. Hope you, also, have a great Christmas holiday. Santa already brought my gift.....a 2X extender for my 100-400 lens. :) :)

Thanks Jim for your comment on the framing and for your good wishes.

For me, I played Santa and gave myself Dan Margulis' latest book: "Photoshop LAB Colour."  Margulis is not the easiest read--but I've been a fan of his for sometime.

Ciao,

Doug

DougJ said:

Ciao,

Doug

WOW!!! Just gorgeous!! Thank you.  ;D ;D  ;D

Liz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom