Hiya! Help haha! 2002 Safari Trek 2430

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkitty's TEC

My heater is making a whirring noise that seems to happen when it is just getting started (ie it's cold) it's about 19 degrees where I am and have been looking for the fan to see if they/it needs replacing. Any suggestions about location? I looked in the outside panel as well.
Annd since I'm here, the lighter casings/power points (where I have plugged in my phone for charging) don't have a current going to either of them. Seems an impossibility to remove and replace them as they're so jammed up against the innards of the dash.

I also have a 2002 Safari Trek, though mine is the 2830 floor plan, originally your coach would have came equipped with a Suburban SF42F furnace, being a 2430 it should be mounted below the refrigerator the same as my 2830. This furnace feeds the floor ducts out the bottom of the unit, and I think there are some screws holding it in place to the floor that must be removed, along with disconnecting the gas line, and the screws on the outdoor exhaust plate in order to slide it forward to access the fan motor (I have never needed to remove mine). I think there are detailed directions on removing the furnace in the files archive at the Trek Tracks web site (Safari Trek owners group). (the access cover just pops off and has retaining clips, just pull out)

Ike

p.s. if you are talking about the dash heater blower it is on the passenger side floorboard area, and this is a semi-direct replacement (you just have to transplant your old blower wheel as it is different length, but motor shaft matches) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IZ3IE2/

Last edited:
My heater is making a whirring noise
The blower in an RV furnace is noisy so I'm wondering if this is a noise that didn't used to happen in the past, or might you be new to using it and the sound is normal? Replacing the motor in an RV furnace is not an easy job and particularly so if you have the furnace that Isaac believes that you have.

Ahhh thank you to you both! I was speaking about the furnace. I have only had my rig for a little over a month and was in fairly moderate weather before, I did run the heater but am doing so more often now. Seems that once it is warmed up the high pitched rattle whirring sound stops.

Any knowledge/help on the lighter casings/power points (where I have plugged in my phone for charging) don't have a current going to either of them? Seems an impossibility to remove and replace them as they're so jammed up against the innards of the dash.

Sounds like the bearings in the blower motor are worn. The slack is taken up when it warms up. The bearings are oil-less but I've kept a fan motor running every day for 30 years by putting a thick oil like STP around the bearings every few years.

First step is to verify that the furnace is a Suburban SF42F (as Isaac-1 deduced). Assuming it is, get the documentation for it at Suburban SF-42F – PDX RV

You may have to physically pull the furnace out to get at the motor and fans. There are two fans on a single shaft/motor. One fan for combustion air/exhaust and the other circulates heated air through the ducts.

Couple more questions:

1- I asked this before so apologies for the repeat...Any knowledge/help on the lighter casings/power points (where I have plugged in my phone for charging) don't have a current going to either of them? Seems an impossibility to remove and replace them as they're so jammed up against the innards of the dash.

2-I am looking to upgrade the backup camera and monitor and am having trouble finding anything in the owner's manual about it, although I believe it's original. I bought a new one and the connections are different (ie four prong vs not a four prong haha!) Any info helps and is much appreciated. Thanks

.Any knowledge/help on the lighter casings/power points (where I have plugged in my phone for charging) don't have a current going to either of them? Seems an impossibility to remove and replace them as they're so jammed up against the innards of the dash.
Have you tried turning the ignition to the auxiliary position like to use the radio? If that doesn't work try starting the engine. Since they are on the dash they are probably powered from the chassis system. If so, you could rewire them I suppose. They are probably fused as well. Where would depend on what chassis you have.
I bought a new one and the connections are different (ie four prong vs not a four prong haha!) Any info helps and is much appreciated.
There are several different formats and wiring methods used by different companies so there is a good chance that your new one isn't compatible with what you have now. I wouldn't expect your RV manual to address how the camera is wired but the new one should have come with installation instructions. Did you but both the camera and the monitor? Do you know if they are designed to work together?

19º is way too cold. If you don't have any other source of heat, consider buying a Buddy Heater. They run on propane and a 1 lb bottle will last several hours. We have ours connected to a 5 gallon tank that we keep outside just below a window. The hose is maybe 10 feet long. Hose and heater probably $150.00. Five gallon tank, maybe $30 at big box store. Propane, maybe $3.00 a gallon. You'll need to make something to minimize the air that gets in since you won't be able to close your window completely. We use ours all the time and rarely turn on our furnace.

Sorry I can't help too much on either of those points as the original backup camera was replaced on mine by a previous owner who butchered much of the associated wiring.

As to the other question, I assume you mean 12V cig lighter style outlet under the center console. If so my coach only has a single outlet there on the right hand side of the lower shelf next to the 120V outlet, it seems some other 2002 Treks differ in exactly how this was built. I have added separate 12V sockets to the left of the drivers seat for plugging in GPS, TPMS etc. on a different fuse. As to fuse for factory 12V outlet, I think it is in the small marine style second under hood fuse panel, located to the passenger side of the coach, up high when you stick your head into the hood opening.

Back
Top Bottom