Hobbies on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Learn to play guitar! A tough hobby that takes a ton of time
Curious about this. I'm 73, my family bought me a really nice acoustic guitar (my brother in law says it's a nice one and he has been playing for 63 years). Any of you out there take it up at my age and how hard was it at an advanced age?

I learned to play the guitar at least 8 times in my life. I start and stop - LOL...

Last time I used Justin Guitar's method and app. I found it really helpful. There are a bunch of different apps but I found this one to be one of the better ones.

There is also a website where you can track and design your own lesson and practice plans. In fact the website was before the app. The method focuses on getting you playing along with the app ASAP which makes it fun.

There is also an online community forum where there is a lot of support and camaraderie. Members are encouraged to record and post their songs. I won (probably a wooden spoon award) a distortion pedal for my beginners rendition of Jingle Bells a couple of Christmas' ago.

I went with an electric guitar for several reasons.

1/ The strings are a little "softer" on your fingers which helps getting started.
2/ I can play the guitar and app sound directly into headphones and not disturb anyone in the house with my practice.
3/ Electric guitars are cool - LOL...

Curious about this. I'm 73, my family bought me a really nice acoustic guitar (my brother in law says it's a nice one and he has been playing for 63 years). Any of you out there take it up at my age and how hard was it at an advanced age?
My grandpa picked up guitar at around 65, took him like 4-5 months to get "decent" at it. So I'd say unless you have some problems with small motorics( fingers) it should be a non-issue.

My hubby is a retired manager. He tried 'managing' my time and such with no success. He is now fully aware I am NOT an employee...LOL new retirement can be a big adjustment time or so my mom keeps saying
The difference between a wise man (your husband) and an old fool is the old fool thinks he doesn't need to learn anything else. There's a reason I refer to my wife as The Executive Department rather than this forum's customary DW, and me as Management. Once I realized this hierarchy, marriage has been a piece of cake.

Slightly off point, but at campgrounds you like and think you'll visit again, you can scout out and write down the numbers of sites you like. For some, they'll be close to the bathhouse or the shuffleboard courts. For us, isolated.

My grandpa picked up guitar at around 65, took him like 4-5 months to get "decent" at it. So I'd say unless you have some problems with small motorics( fingers) it should be a non-issue.
I can type 80 words per minute, so I'm thinking I might have a chance at this. We'll see.

This looks comfy as hell to be fair, and for third the space normal guitar takes.
Also ukuleles are 100% a real instrument!

Have you seen the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain? UOGB

The guy on the far right is playing a bass ukulele which is my current favorite instrument to play. Sounds just like an upright bass.

Why am I reminded of the quip "Give a Brit a piece of sheet metal and he'll do something foolish with it?" (Have to forget Aston Martins and Jaugers)? Still, okay, they're good . . . but the selection of music?

Back
Top Bottom