HOE TO USE A WATER HEATER ON A NEW KEYSTONE OUTBACK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chasv5191

I SWITCHED ON BOTH THE LP AND ELECTRIC SWITCHES AND I GET HOT WATER.  WHEN I TURN OFF THE LP SWITCH AND LEAVE THE ELECTRIC ON.  I DO NOT GET HOT WATER.  DO I HAVE TO KEEP BOTH ON ALL THE TIME?  PLEASE ADVISE

You should just use either gas or electric not both at the same time. You need to be plugged into shore power to use the electric function.

Finally, something I might be able to help with... I just bought a new Outback 310 TB and was having the same problem.  Water heater would only work on LP.  Light would come on for electric but it would not heat the water.  During the walk around I received I was shown where the switch was on the inside of the camper.  What I was not shown is the switch on the water heater.  Lower left side.  Take off the water heater cover and look in the lower left corner.  Mine was covered by a piece of silver tape which make it harder to find, but find it I did and it was in the "off" position.  Toggled it "on" and now electric works fine.
I found this out be watching a you tube video of a walk around on a 2014 for Learch RV.  Very through.

By the way, they say it's fine to use LP and Elect at the same time (as long as there's water in the tank) but if you're on shore power at a campground, why use LP?

Hope this helps.

The recovery rate is so much faster if using both. This is good if 3 or more people are going to take showers. For normal use though, I just use electric especially if I'm in a campground. I'm paying for it. Save your LP.

I was just reading in the water heater manual that came with our camper (Catalina 243) and it says if one uses gas for the water heater above 4500 feet, you should have the jets derated. This seems to mean have the jets replaced with smaller ones so the gas burns correctly. But, since I have a gas/electric water heater, I could just use the electric - which I have  not done before.
I will try the electric only to heat the water the next time I go camping.

Thanks for the posts. This is what this forum is all about.

As an FYI: The responses here are very informative but it just goes to show you that when you have a question, say for the water heater, you tell us what make and model water heater (or other appliance) you are asking about.

Why is this important? Because in the case of the water heaters, most models of Atwood brand don't seem to have that switch for 120V on the tank itself whereas, many Suburban brand models do have such a switch, as Mackrock found. However, YMMV!!!

chasv5191, did you find your problem?? If so, what was it??? Curious minds want to know 8)

Ah, learned something (Why my Atwood has not that switch).

Wife used to use dual power when doing dishes.. I use less water when doing dishes, but If I run out I have a one gallon measuring cup (Yes 4 quartes) and I fill it nearly full (like 3.5) and pop in in the microwave for 10-12 mintues....  Very hot works well.

Your title reminds me of a good joke. Now I know that this isn't the right place for jokes, but I can't resist. It just fits.

An old farmer drove into town, parked his beaten up truck outside of the unemployment office. He sat down at the first empty desk and told the councilor "I want to hire 3 hoers for a month". The councilor sat up a little pushed away from his desk , and replied "I'm sorry, but we can't help you". The farmer was puzzled. "Why not? its a perfectly ordinary request. Doesn't anybody want to do their job around here?"

The councilor, a little flustered by now, responded "I think that the councilor at that desk over there might be able to help you."

The farmer walked over to the new desk, sat down in front of the councilor. He explained his need for 3 hoers. The councilor stood up, and very sternly said "I'm sorry, but we just don't do that sort of thing around here."

The farmer was getting angry, and his voice was getting louder. He was beginning to scream as he asked "Are you people crazy in here? I just want to hire 3 hoers anand nobody will help me."

Just then, the supervisor came to see what all the fuss was about. He asked the farmer "What is the problem here?"

The farmer replied "I don't know. I can't tell if these fellers are crazy, or just plain stupid. I have 4 acres in strawberrys going to weed. Now, why can't I hire 3 people who know one end of a hoe from the other?"

Joel

Back
Top Bottom