holding tank gate valve hard to operate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MAC702

It is extremely difficult to pull and push the gate valve open or closed on my black water holding tank.  Is there a way to make it easier?  Some sort of lubrication or something?

You can try a little silicon lube on the shaft, but it's likely the internal seal is getting old and stiff.  Replacing the valve isn't a difficult job if you can access the 4 screws that hold it together.  It can be a bit messy but not hard to do.

You might want to make sure you've dumped before trying the valve change  ???

Yes, and rinse the tank out very well.  I've changed my dump valve, and carry spares for both tanks.

You sound like a man of experience Ned. Or maybe you learned from Joe Lacey's experiences  ;D

Joe has been my inspiration in many things :)

Is Joe still doing OK, Ned?

IIRC he hadn't been well but had got back to driving his rig--and surely that should have set him up for a new installment of rig adventure!!!

Ciao,

Doug

Haven't heard from Joe for about 6 months, but he was doing fine last I heard.  He's about due for another object lesson for us :)

I read on one of the valve MFG'r websites that you are supposed to lube the valves by dumping 1/2 gallon of coconut oil into the empty holding tank once a year to lube them.

Yes 1/2 gallon!

I know this because I had to buy a new valve after mine broke, it was very stiff compared to the new one.
So I do believe they need to be lubed.

Keith

Back
Top Bottom