Holding tank storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Starting tomorrow, I won't be using my motorhome for two months.  I will clean out the holding tanks.  Question is, should I leave a gallon of clean water and some Odorlos in each one or leave them as empty as possible?

--pat

Pat,
I agree with Ron. One gallon may not be enough. If you don't want to do 1/4 then around 5 gallons. I tried 'em all and Pure Power is the best; however, this is a holding tank not a septic tank so solid wastes will probably not completely break down before you fill'er up and dump no matter which product you use. Just don't use anything with formaldehyde.

I agree with leaving some liquid in the tank while not in use.? I like to use Monsanto Enviro-Chem? (green liquid) sold in RV supply stores.? Envirochem contains a valve lubricant substance so I allow a diluted solution to remain in the toilet bowl for that seal and fill the holding tanks to about 1/4.

Here's the Envirochem sales pitch taken from their bottle:

The Enviro-Chem?? brand of toilet treatment is the complete, one-step holding tank
treatment system. With just 4 oz. this patented technology completely maintains your
holding tank with its formaldehyde-free formula. Enviro-Chem? eliminates odors,
breaks down waste and tissue while it lubricates valves and cleans tank.

Environmentally safer than formaldehyde and more effective than enzyme-based
products. Use just one 4 oz. treatment for a 40 gal. tank - that's half the amount
required with most other products.

The Enviro-Chem complete Holding Tank Treatment? cleans the holding tank leaving
a light, fresh fragrance. This eliminates the need for an assortment of products.
Only 4 Oz. is needed to treat 40 gallons of? waste. RVer's love the built-in measuring
chamber and the fresh fragrance

I'd like to learn more about Pure Power, that Ron and Bruce referred to as I am not familiar with that product.? Perhaps it's better for this application.

More to the point, WHERE is Pure Power?  Camping World?  Walmart?  Darn.  I want to slosh it around in the tanks, don't I?  No more time.  Well, unless I can find it at Kmart.  I can stop there on the way to my brother's tomorrow.  I have stuff to do here the rest of today and will be relocating first thing in the a.m., so they can get on the road.

Quarter tank it is.  BTW, there are no solid wastes in my holdings tanks. 

--pat

Pure power can be ordered from 1-800-411-8801 as well as purchased in many RV supply stores.  Try googling "Organic power products"

That is not the pure power we are suggesting using in the holding tanks.  Pure power we are recomending is for holding tanks and is marketed by Organic power products.

Ron said:
That is not the pure power we are suggesting using in the holding tanks.  Pure power we are recomending is for holding tanks and is marketed by Organic power products.

Ok, How about this one    http://www.opproducts.com/RVProducts.asp

Interesting that two companies uses same product name and both are organic.

Ok, How about this one? ? ?http://www.opproducts.com/RVProducts.asp

Interesting that two companies uses same product name and both are organic.

The very first item shown on that site is the Pure Power I am refering to.  Thanks for posting that.  They even show dealer locations for pure power.

Everybody agrees the Pure Power from the http://www.opproducts.com/RVProducts.asp is the right stuff?  A couple places over here on Main carry it, according to the dealer locator, so I'll pick some up tomorrow. 

--pat

kk:  Thanks for the warning about the bacteria.  My hands are always injured one way or another.  The dry air tends to cause problems, plus I'm always doing something that cuts one thing or another. 

I picture these little bacteria crawling around in there.  Do they spread up into sinks, toilet, etc? 

Also, I've heard opinions about not using something with bacteria.  I forget why.  I am a little leery about starting something that has live cultures in it.  If the stuff can spread, couldn't entire RVs become infected?

--pat

Pat,

You want the treatments that use bacteria, not the ones with chemicals.  Bacteria are what make septic tanks work, and our holding tanks are miniature septic tanks.  They won't infect your RV :)

Pat,
They will not spread like an airborne bacteria, but will attach to anything they come in direct contact with, such as when you pour it down the toilet or a sink drain. That's what you want. The 'home septic system' types would work equally well except that they won't contain things like seal and valve lubricants and odor reducers commonly found in RV products. Check the label, and make sure you use them at the recommended temperature. Too cold and they just lie dormant; too hot and it kills them before they can do their work. Check the actual temperature of the outside of the tank(s) if possible, and add warm or cool water as necessary.

Holy cow.  I didn't even think of airborne.  I just pictured the little buggers crawling like army ants all over the RV.  Good to know they attach.  I hope they keep the downtube clean. 

I will check the temperature around the tanks.  They get more morning sunlight, but it's still not extremely hot out. 

--pat

Pat said:
kk:? Thanks for the warning about the bacteria.? My hands are always injured one way or another.? The dry air tends to cause problems, plus I'm always doing something that cuts one thing or another.?

I picture these little bacteria crawling around in there.? Do they spread up into sinks, toilet, etc??

Also, I've heard opinions about not using something with bacteria.? I forget why.? I am a little leery about starting something that has live cultures in it.? If the stuff can spread, couldn't entire RVs become infected?

--pat

Pat, you gotta think for a moment....what is in that black tank that is not going to have a fair amount of bacteria already?    The critters you are adding to digest the stuff aren't all that dangerous -- especially compared to the stuff in the tank -- think E. coli for instance

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom