Home made rust remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

I ran across this when doing an Internet search on rust remover.  In the original article, the writer had used a solution of 1 part molasses to 9 parts water.  I decided to try it on a rusted steel plate from the 1962 International Scout I am working on.  I mixed up the 1 part molasses, 9 parts water in a bucket and let the plate soak for 5 days.  The attached photo shows a before and after comparison after the five days.  Rust remover formula at the auto parts store runs about $9 for a quart.  I can make about 4 gallons of the home made stuff for $9.  It takes a bit longer that the store bought stuff but it is easy and I don't think there are any bad chemicals in the molasses.  ;D

Attachments

• Mollasses rust remover.JPG
    Mollasses rust remover.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 82
Wow!  I just bought some of the manufactured "Rust Off", in a spray can for my exterior steps that are rusting underneath the black paint.  I might have to return it and buy some molasses instead.

I think it works good if you can let it soak in the molasses solution for a while.  But if you had to remove rust from a vertical surface or were in a hurry, the "Rust Off" or similar commercial product is probably faster.  I have been slowly collecting parts for my 62 Scout and some of these parts  have lite rust that I can soak off.  So it is a ecomomical solution for some things like that.

Still a good option, for when there is time.  When I clean up my steps this Spring, I *really* want to get them clean and prevent future rust.  So I may remove them completely and drop them into a tub of molasses water for a few days, then sand and repaint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom