Home Security Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You may want a security system for this trip but it is something you'll have for a long time. So consider what you may want for just a day trip also.

Whatever you get make sure it has cellular backup if the internet cable is cut so your alarm will get sent either to you or the monitoring system. Mine pings the network and alerts me if the internet connection goes dead which may be the first warning sign of a professional thief.

Important things for me are sound detection and motion detection that is adjustable for sensitivity to eliminate false results. Especially if you have pets inside during a day trip. Being able to block off areas helps stop motion alarms caused by birds or squirrels outside a window where the shades are open. Or again if you have pets there is no need to monitor below the 4 foot level. I hang a dial thermometer close to a camera so I can see if the temperature inside is dropping long before a freeze happens, or if the A/C is not working. I mount smoke detectors close to the camera so they will set off the sound detection. You want hidden cameras close to major walkways so facial recognition will be useful. Camera resolution and low light ability is very important.

I thought I might add there are some systems that can use your obsolete cell phones as cameras. IE: free cameras. They make various mounts so it is just as easy to mount them. They generally have much higher resolution than security cameras, very sensitive microphones, built in network or cellular connectivity, and you can even talk back to whoever is in your house. They can turn on the flash as a flashlight if the lights go out or to take a closeup picture of a face. If the thief gets their picture taken with a flash it might scare them off but either way the picture is already in the cloud. If they destroy the phone who cares. It didn't cost anything.

I prefer to self monitor. Police are used to false call from security systems and may make them a lower priority. A homeowner reporting a break-in should get a higher priority. I also leave keys with my neighbor and kids so they can check on the house while we're gone. I don't want them getting arrested. We don't have a landline phone anymore and our cell phones are with us. So a monitoring agency can't ask for a code word at the house.

I give a list to my neighbors and the police dept. of all vehicles which could be in my driveway at anytime. The list contains the person who owns it, the license plate number, make and color and the relationship. If a vehicle is not in that list, the neighbors will call the police.
At the top of the list I say when I’m leaving and returning from FL, where I’ll be and my contact In a emergency info.

Last edited:
And if someone were to break in(well they wouldn’t have to break in since we rarely lock the door) and we are home all I would need to do is walk out of the bedroom naked. That would scare the poop out of them. IMHO security alarm companies make money off people’s fears. Just purchase an ADT sign and stick it in your front yard. :cool:
How much are ya selling cardboard cutouts of you naked?

The only concerns we've ever had are weather-related damage. In FL that means too much humidity/rain. We have excellent neighbors to help make sure our A/C kicks on (at 88 degrees) to help reduce humidity inside and we leave ceiling fans on low to keep the air moving. For hurricane season we put up the shutters.

Others have noted that break-ins and vandalism really can't be prevented - but some steps (the dog bowl, timed lights/tv, etc.) can help deter the more faint-hearted ne'er-do-well.

As @garyb1st said, "focus on enjoying your time in the SW."

As we prepare for a 3 month RV trip to the SW were thinking that a home security system for our home base might be a good idea. We're looking for input and recommendations (based on personal experience) for a home security system.

Ring looks like a popular option. Pros and Cons? A Daughter has Vivant which is pricier.

BTW we might not always want to self-monitor because there will be times when we will be out of range for 10 to 12 days.

TIA
Check with your homeowner insurance. They often offer discounts on your insurance premiums if you have a security system, and some insurance companies will help pay for the system.
We are checking into it. They offer a 10% discount on the premiums, waive the deductible, and pay 20% of the install.

I give a list to my neighbors and the police dept. of all vehicles which could be in my driveway at anytime. The list contains the person who owns it, the license plate number, make and color and the relationship. If a vehicle is not in that list, the neighbors will call the police.
At the top of the list I say when I’m leaving and returning from FL, where I’ll be and my contact In a emergency info.
Good Advice. We let our neighbors and the Police know that we'll be gone and give them our contact info and info for a Daughter who is local. We're waiting for the SimpliSafe System that we ordered. The Daughter will also have access to the system. An Electrician installed an automatic dusk to dawn timer on our front light and we have a motion detector on the fenced back yard light. (People who approach our home at night should wear sunglasses. 😎)

When we went to the PNW for three months we didn't have any problems except a drunk driver slammed into our mailbox. The person who plows our driveway let us know when it happened and we reported it to the Police. It was interesting that months after we returned from our extended trip our excellent Police Dept. tracked down the person who did it, they pressed charges, and took him to court.

Last edited:
I have a cardboard cutout of me naked for when we are out of town. Had to get a new one a few weeks ago. When we are out of town we leave the cutout just inside the front door. When we returned the door was open and somebody had thrown up all over my cardboard likeness. But nothing was missing. :cool:

I have a cardboard cutout of me naked for when we are out of town. Had to get a new one a few weeks ago. When we are out of town we leave the cutout just inside the front door. When we returned the door was open and somebody had thrown up all over my cardboard likeness. But nothing was missing. :cool:
I was in Office Depot yesterday getting some copies made. I noticed that they make custom banners. You could have one made the size of your living room window and just tack it up across the window when you leave.

I was in Office Depot yesterday getting some copies made. I noticed that they make custom banners. You could have one made the size of your living room window and just tack it up across the window when you leave.
That’s an idea. Have one made with me making the morning coffee. Wonder how long it would be before Someone caught on that nobody takes that long to make coffee. :cool:

That’s an idea. Have one made with me making the morning coffee. Wonder how long it would be before Someone caught on that nobody takes that long to make coffee. :cool:
The other advantage is, with the banner across the window no one could see what's going on inside. Maybe make it a permanent installation so you and the Mrs. could...ah, never mind, I'll stop there.

The other advantage is, with the banner across the window no one could see what's going on inside. Maybe make it a permanent installation so you and the Mrs. could...ah, never mind, I'll stop there.
I don’t have a problem walking around the house naked. I’m short…in stature, so the countertops in the kitchen cover me pretty well. But the wife, being about the same height, would never waltz around the abode sans clothing. The dogs on my side. He even ventures outside nekked. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom