Honda Civic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beatrice

Hi:  My name is Beatrice and although my husband Jim,  and I are not new to RVing we are now able to travel a little more. We live in Cocoa Florida and want to travel extensively over the summer (beat the heat).
Just purchased a Honda Civic , automatic, for obvious reason (gas prices) and would like to be able to tow it all four wheels down - we heard you can adapt them for towing behind an RV also heard you can remove a couple of fuses - Honda people say - "yes you can tow it but we don't recommend it"  - kinda double talk.
Tried to get into the January issue of Motorhome but couldn't.  I know this is an old subject but I would love to hear back.  Is a tow dolly the safest?
Thanks

Hi Beatrice,

Welcome to the forum. We're neighbors. Well, almost. We live at The Great Outdoors in Titusville. We're currently in CT for the summer.

I have heard the Honda Civic is the only Honda that is towable for 2006. If it is 4 wheel drive it should not be a problem.  Look in your manual for instructions. If it's not towable, REMCO at 1-800-228-2481 should be able to tell you if it can be modified.

Jim Dick said:
Hi Beatrice,

Welcome to the forum. We're neighbors. Well, almost. We live at The Great Outdoors in Titusville. We're currently in CT for the summer.

I have heard the Honda Civic is the only Honda that is towable for 2006. If it is 4 wheel drive it should not be a problem.  Look in your manual for instructions. If it's not towable, REMCO at 1-800-228-2481 should be able to tell you if it can be modified.

Jim:

The CRV is approved for 2006.

Beatrice & Jim,

Welcome to The RV Forum.  Glad you found us.  I'm sure you will get the answers to your questions regarding the Civic.

Jeff /Washington said:
Jim:

The CRV is approved for 2006.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, it is approved, the only Honda, for 2006. What I'm not sure of is if they make a 2 wheel version. You'd be amazed at how many 2 wheel drive Jeeps and Grand Vitaras are found in Florida! If Honda makes one it may not be towable 4 down.

Note that the 2006 Civic is technically every bit as towable as a 2005 model - there has been no mechanical design change. What is different is that Honda will no longer honor the warranty for the transmission if you have towed it.

Jim Dick said:
Hi Jeff,

Yes, it is approved, the only Honda, for 2006. What I'm not sure of is if they make a 2 wheel version. You'd be amazed at how many 2 wheel drive Jeeps and Grand Vitaras are found in Florida! If Honda makes one it may not be towable 4 down.

Jim:

The 2 wheel drive version was approved in 2002 when we bought our 4wd. Unlike real 4wd's the CRV does not have a transfer case and turns the tranny while towing.

Technically, the CRV is an AWD (All Wheel Drive) rather than 4WD, so no transfer case and no low range. It automatically switches from 2 wheel to 4 wheel mode as required for traction.    There is a 2 WD only version as well.

Jeff,

It's unusual for 2wd units to be towable without modification. If Honda is still approved that makes it a plus for them. I realize they are an "on demand" type of "  dtransmission/transfer case" vehicle. I led a group from QZ one time with a brand new CRV as part of the group. On the first "hill" we had to literally push him over it. Most of it was due to the fact the car only had about 800 miles on it and he was trying to protect the finish. He soon learned how to negotiate the climbs and made it without further problems. :)

Jim Dick said:
Jeff,

It's unusual for 2WD units to be towable without modification. If Honda is still approved that makes it a plus for them. I realize they are an "on demand" type of "  transmission/transfer case" vehicle. I led a group from QZ one time with a brand new CRV as part of the group. On the first "hill" we had to literally push him over it. Most of it was due to the fact the car only had about 800 miles on it and he was trying to protect the finish. He soon learned how to negotiate the climbs and made it without further problems. :)

Jim:

Let's not bring up the CRV hill climbing capability! ??? ???

Most 4WD SUV's can be towed because the transfer case cuts off the tranny from the drive axles. In the case of the Hondas  (Accord, CRV, Pilot, etc) the fact that the 2WD can be towed is because neither the 4WD or the 2WD variants do not have a transfer case, they sinply have a tranny that lubricated itself while turning under tow. If you do that to a jeep by leaving the transfer case engaged you will tear up the transmission. Not so for Honda, Lumina,  early and some late Saturns.

Back
Top Bottom