Honda EU2200i first use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Fired up the new generator today, a slightly upgraded version (2200 watt surge vs 2000) to the many that are out there. Let it idle for about 15 minutes, then plugged in RV: carried the converter, lot's of lights, fridge and hot water on electric (although don't know if either was actually cycled on during the test) and a freezer all while at low idle. There are many reports of people using the MicroAir unit to run up to a 15K BTU AC on a 2000W generator, and it had been my intention to put one on the rear (ducted) AC for the very infrequent time I might want AC in a dry camp situation. However I recently read several reports that people were successfully running a 13.5K BTU AC without the MicroAir, so I gave it a try. Turned off the converter breaker, and fired up the AC, started and ran no problem, no overload alarm and voltage holding at 122. For giggles I flipped on the converter, and as expected the generator surged and kicked off.

So, I'm thrilled with this little genny. Will easily run anything I need (with some manual load shedding) and even  the AC or dryer if I'm so inclined. Two thumbs up  :)) :))

We couldn't get AC to work with generators at elevation until we installed the Micro Air then it worked fine. Glad you don't need to spend any extra cash!

What's your elevation, Scott? I suspect you'll find a different behavior when up a few thousand feet, kinda like what Jackie referenced, especially on a hot day (higher density altitude, that is, lower air density).

jackiemac said:
We couldn't get AC to work with generators at elevation until we installed the Micro Air then it worked fine. Glad you don't need to spend any extra cash!
Yes that's true, I read that the performance decrement is 3.5%/thousand feet above 500 MSL. I'm currently only at 150 feet so probably enjoying a 1% boost. I'll have to try it this summer where I'll be at 1,200 feet and see if it still works

Edit - was typing the answer as you posted Larry

1200 ft. is probably OK, Scott but 5,000 feet, or perhaps a bit lower, will get marginal, I suspect.

performance decrement is 3.5%/thousand feet
Chances are that's density altitude, so even at a given altitude it'll be worse on a hot day. This is true for all normally aspirated (not turbo charged) internal combustion engines. Note that standard altitude (the usual performance rating) at sea level is at 59? F (15? C), while at 5,000 ft. it's 41? F. Note that at 59? F at 1200 ft. and barometer at 29.92" Hg and 0% humidity, the density altitude (what the engine thinks it's at) is 1482 ft. At 95? F the D.A. is 3735 feet. Change the humidity to 55% at 95? and D.A. becomes 4138 ft.

Change to 5,000 ft. at 59? F and 0% and 29.92 for altimeter setting (barometer corrected for altitude) and D.A. is 6289, while at 95? and 0% D.A. is 8782 ft.

Hopefully this will give you a hint where you might encounter problems running the A/C on that unit.

Congrats on your getting a top quality and very quiet generator. You'll be one cool dude on those hot summer days.

I was considering a similar size generator and micro air or an a/c capacitor upgrade. But, finally decided to bite the cost bullet and got a 3100 inverter generator. But, boy is it heavy compared to your lightweight Honda. Lifting it, I discovered that I'm not as young as I once was. What a surprise!  ;)

Larry N. said:
Chances are that's density altitude, so even at a given altitude it'll be worse on a hot day.
Hopefully this will give you a hint where you might encounter problems running the A/C on that unit.

Thanks Larry. Re density altitude,  :)) (retired pilot  ;) )

IBTripping said:
I was considering a similar size generator and micro air or an a/c capacitor upgrade. But, finally decided to bite the cost bullet and got a 3100 inverter generator. But, boy is it heavy compared to your lightweight Honda. Lifting it, I discovered that I'm not as young as I once was. What a surprise!  ;)

I went back on forth on what to get, and also what brand. Seriously considered the competitors to the Honda and decided I wanted something that wouldn't represent a compromise, especially since I might occasionally need everything it had.
Thought about a bigger one, and pretty quickly dismissed that idea for the weight issue, No way I'm huffing 100# in an out of a compartment, especially when 90% of the time I'll be charging batteries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom