Hood Latch Broken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jozee

I tried to open the hood of my '98 Class A today, and the line that goes from the inside "hood release" pull lever to the actual latches inside the hood doesn't work. I got the hood open (more on that later) and followed the line from the inside lever to the latches that it is supposed to operate.  When my son pulls on it, I can feel it moving all the way up to what looks like a splitter (a small rectangular box with the words HI-LEX on it).  There must be a disconnect in the splitter, because I can tell that after that point there is no movement of the wire in the casing and no pressure on the latches at all.  Can I just replace the splitter somehow (looks like it will require some splicing), or do I have to get a whole new set up from the hood release lever to the latches?  BTW, I got the hood open by having my 10 year old son crawl under the front of the rig and stand up against the front hood and open the latches from the inside.  Of course, the engine was cold, but don't think that I want to resort to that again!!
jozee

I am not sure what you mean by "Splitter". 

A splitter is a device to get one control (or source) to operate two devices (loads) so if you have a single hood latch you would not have a splitter, if you have two latches one on each side,,, you would.

Now, what you may have is a coupler. Some designs use two cables, hooked together end-to-end

And it may be nothing more than the connection coming loose inside that device

I have two latch releases at the hood, one port and one starboard.  I have one wire that leads from the  pull leaver underneath the dash to just behind the hood. Just behind the hood, the single wire  goes into a small thin box (2" x 1" by about 1/4") and two wires come out the other end, one going to each latch.  These wires don't move at all when the lever is pulled.  The single wire that goes from the lever to the "splitter"(?) moves.  How frustrating.  Maybe it is covered in my warranty, but I'd like to fix it myself and save myself a trip to the service center.  Besides, I haven't found a service center that I like yet.  The dealers service guys left a lot to be desired.

jozee

Ok, it is likely then that the box is indeed a splitter but that you have a 3 piece hood latch cable, one which I'll call "Dash" (The part YOU pull on) and the other two are "Port" and "Starbord"

Odds are that there is either a crimp connector which connects one end of the Dash cable to the other two inside that box or, more likely a small flat bar with 3 holes in it, a cable passes through each hole and is terminated with some kind of crimp-on block.  One of these (likely the one on the dash side) has come off or rusted off.

If the coach is under warranty then it should be covered... If not try and get into that box and see what happened

If the Dash wire goes into the "splitter box", you will have to see if you can remove the box cover and see what happened inside. If it attaches to a lever of some kind on the edge of the box, the break is either there or where the Port & Starborad wires attach.

If there is no way to get inside the splitter box, you will probably have to replace the entire assembly, from the dash handle to the latches.  Finding the brand name of the cable assembly and a source for it may be difficult. Sometimes these are custom designed assemblies, contracted by the coach manufacturer from some small factory somewhere, and not generally available parts. Other times they area component used in some other automtive application and "borrowed" for use in the motorhome. If that's the case, it may be available if you can find out the make and model of the component.  Start out by calling the motorhome manufacturer and see if they can identify it for you.

Obviously it is easiest if you can find a way to fix it yourself.

Jozee,

Wonder of wonders, the HI-LEX turned up a company that makes, believe it or not, hood release cables; among other things. Here's a link to their website: http://www.hi-lex.com/auto_control_cables_applications.html  You may want to take some pictures of the unit and attach them to an email to their customer service, along with any other numbers you may find on it, cable lengths, etc.

Thanks everyone for your help.  Karl, I will take your advise and email the company and ask for a solution.  Pictures are a good idea, too.  I think that I will be able to manage this project myself without taking it in to a mechanic!  Thanks again.
Jozee

RESOLVED!!  I hate to leave folks hanging when they advise me on a problem, so here is what happened.
HI-LEX, the maker of the cable, had a website but no email address that I could find.  I emailed Tiffin with my problem, and they replied that I should call their service department (no email correspondence available) with my problem. This can be hard to do with my work hours and the three hour time difference, so I put it off for a day or so. IN THE MEANTIME, a friend who had been trying to help me open the box the first time I saw the problem, decided to try one more time to open the small splitter box by inserting screw driver at seam, and VOILA, it popped right open.  Sure enough, the cable was unhooked at the splitter (luckily, no rust...just disconnected).  He rejoined it, and snapped the box right back together.  Problem solved!  Well, not quite.  I fussed at him because I wanted to fix it!!!  He did this while I was at work.  What am I thinking ??? ???  Friend comes over while I work and fixes my RV, and somehow this bothers me.  I must have a screw loose. ;) :D :D

Jozee,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad it worked out just fine.

LOL, Karl.  My friend is a fellow Cheesehead from Sturgeon Bay...a hardcore Packer fan.  If this were football season, I coulda fixed that cable myself!  Actually, he is buttering me up because I have Charger/Packer preseason tickets, and he wants me to (1): give him the tickets; and (B): bring the RV (and be the designated driver) for him and his buddies. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.  I'm thinking a complete over haul of my brakes is in order here!!
Jozee

Back
Top Bottom