Hook up to power while in storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dance Chick

We just moved our MH to covered storage with a power hook up.  Is it good, bad, or indifferent to keep it hooked up 24/7 when not in use?
Thanks for the replies.

Keeping power to the motorhome is good, as long as you have a good 3 stage charger that won't overcharge the batteries.

Tell us the make and model and we'll let you know.

Ned said:
Keeping power to the motorhome is good, as long as you have a good 3 stage charger that won't overcharge the batteries.

Before we went full time.... That is what I did, Converter being a Progressive Dynamics 9280 with wizard.. New the batteries needed watering annually with that hook up,  now (7 years later) a few times a year.

mine sits in a cement floored poll barn that is unheated but has lots of electricity!  It stays plugged in all year when not in use on the road.  Have done that for 4 years now and no adverse effects whatever.  m35 coachmen class a

While someone has eyes on this thread.. perhaps I can jump in here and ask if my converter is good for charging (according to the specs I think it is... but the manual also uses trickle and float interchangeable).

I've got a WFCO WF-8955PEC

I have mine plugged in for the full 5 months we spend here in Apache Junction, Arizona. However I do unplug every now and then and check the water level in the batteries. Do not want the water to get real low.

Bill

Keeping it plugged in should be fine but, if you have a Norcold 1200 or 1210, I would turn it off. Too many fires have started because of this model. No sense in taking a chance when it's not needed to keep anything cold.

Does anyone know if this converter is ok to leave plugged in all the time?

Magnatek Power Converter w/ Battery Charger
Series 6300 A
Model 6345
45AMP

Jim Dick said:
Keeping it plugged in should be fine but, if you have a Norcold 1200 or 1210, I would turn it off. Too many fires have started because of this model. No sense in taking a chance when it's not needed to keep anything cold.

Or shut the Norcold off.

Ccs68 said:

Series 6300 A
Model 6345
45AMP

No - this is the oldstyle Magnetek that's notorious for boiling batteries dry.  The best path is to replace the converter section with a modern three stage converter like the Progressive Dynamics.

Or you could try using a 20 amp adapter on the shore power cord and plug the rig into an appliance timer to limit the power on time to a couple of hours per day while the rig is in storage.

Lou is 100% right - avoid leaving a Magnetek 63xx converter on for extended periods. I used the appliance timer method back when we had one of those. A couple hours a day is plenty to keep the battery charged.

I"ve got a Xantrex XADC6012 in my 2010 Tiffin and leave it hooked up all the time.  I think it's a 3 stage charger.  I check and add a splash (literally, I need to get a funnel  :p) of distilled water every few months.

Gordon

Ccs68 said:

Series 6300 A
Model 6345
45AMP

When I speak of converters you can, and can not leave plugged in all the time,  That is the very example I use of one where you SHOULD NOT leave it plugged in full time.

So the answer is NO.

In fact. You should upgrade it.. You can upgrade JUST the electronics and there are two ways to do this.. I recommend a Progressive Dynamics 9200 plug in model put elsewhere and simply disconnect the 120vac power wire that feeds the converter from the breaker. Tape or wire nut the wire end to protect it.. Re-use that same  breaker to feed a new 20 amp outlet (use 12ga wire and one of the 15/20 amp outlets with the "T" shaped neutral slot) near where you park the 9200.

That way: 1: You have one of the best converters made,  2: You can leave it plugged in full time  3: Your batteries will thank you and 4: Heaven forbid the 9200 every goes diodes up... You can restore power to the 6300 and keep on camping till you get the replacement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natalihu
Back
Top Bottom