Hot Exhaust On Differential

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chuckbear

For anyone that has not seen my current thread on the driveshaft issue, we hit some road debris that tore off the exhaust tailpipe and did major damage to the drive shaft. After 4 days the driveshaft has been replaced and we drove over 200 miles today and so far, no issues. However, the tailpipe is still gone since the repair shop does not do exhaust work. We still have another 600 miles to go and no place to fix the exhaust so we need to drive it without the tailpipe. With the tailpipe gone the exhaust is pointing at the differential about 3 feet in front of it. So I'm wondering if there might be a problem with hot exhaust blowing at the differential even at 3 feet away? For those that might be concerned, there is no exhaust coming in the coach. Chuck

Stop at any auto parts store and buy the right diameter, "clamp on " exhaust "tip" to aim the exhaust to either side or down 45 degrees,, the type you normally see at the end of the pipe.>>>Dan

Stop at any auto parts store and buy the right diameter, "clamp on " exhaust "tip" to aim the exhaust to either side or down 45 degrees,, the type you normally see at the end of the pipe.>>>Dan
Yup you can do that as long as there is any kind of stub after the muffler. You may need a pipe cutter if the stub shaft is jagged.

OTOH - I don't think exhaust gas temps are gonna damage the diff. That thing is probably running similar temps to the tranny - Like 185-190*F

If an auto parts store doesn't have the correct size exhaust tip, they might have a length of flexible exhaust pipe that can temporarily route the exhaust out to the side. I even temporarily fixed an exhaust pipe for a fellow a couple of years ago that had the cat stolen, using a double layer of aluminum dryer vent pipe from a local Ace hardware store and 4" hose clamps. He drove it over a thousand miles that way until he could get the cat replaced.

I would think virtually all towns of any size has a muffler shop that can make the necessary repairs.
Finding the muffler shops was very easy.

But . . .

I tried to get such fixed on this trip (see third paragraph) and found out it wasn't that easy. Most places either didn't have room for my small Class C or were too busy and required an appointment more than a week out.

I ended up home first before I could get it taken care of here, which is a very large truck shop near my other house in Auburn, CA.

-Don- Reno, NV

In IRV2 you were advised to use a temporary gas appliance exhaust elbow to divert the heat away. In that forum it sounds like you're going to use that temporary fix.

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom