Hot floorboard in Ford E-450

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeater1

My wife complained of her left foot getting hot in our new Minnie. Turns out the exhaust manifold runs very close to the floorboard. I took another forum members advice and contacted Kool Mat folks. Nice lady there named Pat who helped me out. I bought a 5"x12" section of their heat shield . Came with stainless ty wraps and grommet holes in the shield. I formed it around the manifold and used the ty wraps. Voila ! The heat generated was cut by 90%.
Next I'm considering removing the driver and pax seats and floor carpet. I will use a layer of Kool Mat to cover the entire area. Pat says this will really reduce the heat from the engine and trans, plus further dampen the sound. We'll see....

www.koolmat.com

Thanks for that report. A friend who previously owned a class A made his own heat shields that do the same thing. I thought he was kidding at the time, but I guess they really worked.

yeah, the ford E450 is known for some heat.  you can put that Kool mat in the dog house and it will help quite a bit with sound and heat.  I didnt notice the floor board, probably because my leg was burning off on the dog house....

bk

Ford E series vans have had the hot dog house problem since the 1985s.  I remember my E350 with a 7 liter gas engine.  A the end of a long trip, my right leg was cooked from leaning against the dog house.

Back
Top Bottom