Hot Spot inside 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pagraham

We just took a 5 day trip to Port Aransas, TX. in our Carriage Cameo 35SB3

Had a real hard time keeping the rig cool during the day, outside temps around 95, inside climbing to 83 daytime then down to 69 at night.

Figured out the front a/c unit wasn?t blowing cold air so shut it off and limped along with the one 15k BTU.

During the day you could really tell where the most heat was radiating from, the rig had the kitchen side slide getting afternoon sun.

All the windows along that side were really warm in the afternoon, so I bought a role of the foil backed window insulation and cut to fit all the windows on that side, made a big difference.

The under sink cabinet was 95 degrees inside during the afternoon, felt like an oven.

I wondering if anyone has insulated to knock down the heat inside the kitchen cabinets? If so, could sure use some advice on how.

I will replace that old Carrier 13.5 BTU unit in September, but it doesn?t seem right to have that much heat pouring in from those kitchen cabinets.

Thanks

I put Reflectix in the back of cabinets in one of our slides that was often exposed to direct sun. It helped a little, at least the inside of the cabinets wasn't so hot. Also use a big foil windshield screen if the coach faces the sun - that has a huge effect on the a/c demand.

RV's are notoriously poorly insulated.  One big issue is the windows.. Our house has 150 sq ft of windows in a 2100 sq ft house, or a ratio of 7.1% window / floor space.  In my camper, there is about 106 sq ft of windows and about 380 sq ft of floor space, or a ratio of almost 28%!  House is double pane glass.  The camper is all single pane.

Walls, floor and ceiling are similarly poorly insulated.

Unfortunately, that is how it is.  Just keep the A/C in good condition.

I will be leaving the hot water heater turned off during the day when camping in hot weather, that should help a little bit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom