Hot water heater leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cupe873

I have an 2006 Itasca Ellipse 40 KD motorhome. There is water slowly leaking from the top back of the tank. I had to replace the bottom outlet fitting 2 years ago, was awkward to do and now the I think the top one is leaking. Does anyone know of a way to get to that fitting without removing the tank? I did remove the inspection plate under the heater, but it is impossible to get up to the top backside of the tank. I will have to disconnect the heat exchanger hose from the tank to pull it out.

I just replaced mine three months ago, it really needs to be pulled which isn't a huge deal. It isn't necessary to completely remove the heater but just to pull it far enough to reach the top rear of the tank.

What's above it? A bed? then I would simply cut out a hole big enough or remove the entire panel.

It is not under a bed and I don't think I want to cut a hole in the floor of the motorhome. I will just have to pull it out far enough to get at the fitting. Thanks

My tank was leaking at the bottom pipe right at the weld seam between the pipe and tank so don't be surprised if yours is something similar. Also the tank with the engine coolant plumbing is not available - they stopped making that variation :mad: . A tip - have a table or platform ready when you slide the unit out - position the platform at the same height as the bottom of the heater. When replacing, you will need a sealant strip something like butyl tape that is used for sealing windows but it's not that sticky.

It is not under a bed and I don't think I want to cut a hole in the floor of the motorhome. I will just have to pull it out far enough to get at the fitting. Thanks
Typically the seal between the piping nut and the tank fitting is a cone shaped rubber gasket. Make sure you replace it. When you back off the nut, it will be inside the nut. Pick it out with a very small screwdriver or a small knife. When you tighten the nut, use only your hands. No wrenches or you stand a chance to cracking the nut.

I was able to slid the heater out an inch without disconnecting the heat exchanger which gave me just enough room to get my arm up behind to find the leak. Its the top nylon 90 degree fitting on the back of the heater. Was able to tighten it up to the point where its only leaking 2 drops a minute. Not great but will do for now. I will get a replacement fitting and change it out.

Replace the two check valves if they are original and like Rene mentioned, replace the cone shape 'washers'. I think I have a thread here where I replaced my water heater and I have a part number for a pack of the 'washers.'

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom