Hot water heater pressure valve problem? New RV'ers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristen

Just getting ready to use our new Ameri-lite TT for the first time, were flushing the antifreeze from our system and found water is continually streaming from the pressure value of our Sububan water heater. The heater has never been turned on yet, as the unit was winterized since we purchased it during the winter. Happens with both city water hook up and fresh water holding tank. Any one know what this might be? We are thinking defective pressuer relief valve? Planning on calling the dealer on Monday, but was hoping to have some idea from some experienced RV'ers.

Do you know the relief valve is closed? If it is, then a visit to your local hardware store will find a new one at an affordable price. It will be the same as the relief valve for your home water heater.

Thanks so much Tom!! We suspected it was in need of a replacement, but were worried about voiding the warranty by doing the work ourselves. But hubby is a dedicated do-it-yourselfer, so he went to Home Depot and got an identical pressure valve for 8 bucks. It's absolutely identical, same brand, and now it works fine. Thanks for giving us your experienced advice. Looking forward to a great Easter weekend campout now :)

Glad you got it fixed Kristen and thanks for the feedback.

John In Detroit said:
Wondering Tom,,, would one of those be a good idea for the "Spares" box"

Wouldn't be an item I would carry around since they can be obtained from most any hardware store.  Besides I have never found the need to replace a pressure relief valve on any of the three motorhomes we have owned.

Good question John. As Ron says, they're available at almost any hardware store, so it depends on how far away from civilization you plan on staying. If not too far away, I could manage for a day or two. I actually managed for much longer than that when the valve went out on the boat. Here's that discussion.

Most RV relief valves are not the same size as household valves.  They are a different diameter and cost 3 times as much.  I went through that excersize a couple of years ago.  Household valves were about $7 but wouldn't fit the threads on the water heater.  The RV version cost $22.

Ned,

Kristen said that her hubby bought an identical one at Home Depot, so I assumed that meant it was the same size. OTOH he might not have taken the old one out yet.  :-[

She has taken the old one out and put the new one in, She said so in so many words, also said it was working perfectly.

One posibility is that there are at least two different major manafacturers of hot water heaters and I'd not wish to bet on the odds of a 3rd or more.

It is possible that the poster who had the 3x odd size has a different make heater than she has and hers is more standard.  Or it may be hers is newer and the manafacturer decided to switch to standard size  which I think  (W/o looking) is 1/2inch IPT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom