Hot Water Heater Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwells4654

I have an Atwood G6A3 hot water heater.  At first it would not stay lit (Jade Controller).  I would lite the pilot and after one minute it would quit.  Replaced the Thermocouple/pilot assembly.  Now the heater lites and stays lit but if I turn down the thermostat the main burner goes from a very good flame to a smaller flame (not the pilot flame).  The pilot is still lit but the main burner flame is close to a half flame.  Is this normal or is there something else wrong?  I have camped and rv'd but I have never had one with a hot water heater so this is new to me. 

Thanks
Mel

Does it stay that way for how long?  I suspect the valve you installed is bypassing some fuel for some reason.  Maybe as a maintenance for a minute or so or simply leaking.

Not sure - had to leave so I turned it off.  I am going to try again tonight when I get home from work.  Was not sure if it was normal for it to go from a high flame to somewhat smaller flame before it turned off the main burner.

Worked on the water heater last night.  It seems the Jade thermostat assembly is not shutting all the gas off properly.  I left the heater working until the thermostat clicked and the main burner when from large flame to something short of half power.  Gave the thermostat housing a tap from a pair of pliers and the gas turned off on the main burner and the pilot remained on.  So it looks like I need a new Jade thermostat assembly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom