Hotspot Data Connections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil-t

So, I am ready to make some changes to how I do Internet and Local LAN connections in our motor home; since we are now full timing it as campground hosts and doing more traveling.  I use Verizon and use the hotspot data on my Android phone and DW's iPhone for the 15 GB uncapped hotspot data, each, on the plans.  I am looking at bying a dedicated hotspot and router so we can have another 15GB of monthly uncapped data.  Qustion is what might be the best device to do the Verizon hotspot and routing and hopfully allow wifi connections from the two phones for use of that hotspot data?  Been looking at https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Universal-Dual-Band-Entertainment-CV-7438nDM/dp/B00GMA2VXQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KK8FCCGKPHAHNKGTVRHF  but not sure of all the connectivity that may work for what I want to do.  Maybe there is not a solution.  Pretty sure it will bridge the wifi from a verizon hotspot to a router but not sure about the phones.  Maybe there is some other device that could be used as a Verizon hotspot? 

Phil,

I guess I don't understand the issue here.  We had Verizon for a long time, we ran it from phone tethers and I used to run a lot of data.  It was unlimited and uncapped.  We did hit times when it got slow, but it never shut us down, and when it did slow down, it would go slow for both of us and in some cases that I knew of, it went slow for our neighbors as well.  We could only assume that the tower we were both on was over loaded.  As this often did happen in more or less urban areas, I think that was a valid assumption. 

Ego, using more subscriptions may not do you any good.

Matt

Why do think you need a router? How many devices do you plan on using simultaneously?  Verizon lets us connect up to 5 devices at the same time. We have 2 phones and an 8" tablet. The tablet works a bit better than the phones as a hotspot.we only have 1 hotspot active at a time and if it slows down due to the 20 gb throttling,  we just switch to another hotspot. We've been able to stream movies (at std resolution).

Be thorough during the research period for hotspot usage with cell phones. Some companies only allow a portion of the given data to be used as a hotspot. Some will let you use it all for a hotspot.

We are looking at the same situation. We will be living in our trailer for 3-6 months starting sometime in April. We expect to change campgrounds more or less each month.
We plan to move the DWs phone to T-Mobile unlimited data (with 20g of hot spot) and change my Verizon service for my phone and cellular tablet to unlimited data.

We want to get this internet access to a LAN and attached WiFi Access Point. Why? My Mac, NAS, and smart tv will be wired and laptops and tablets on WiFi.

Also, some way to get improved cell service with possibly a raised antenna and associated boost I suppose.

Near as I can tell having been on this forum for several months, Kevin is the wiz on integrating all this?

ChasA said:
Why do think you need a router? How many devices do you plan on using simultaneously?  Verizon lets us connect up to 5 devices at the same time. We have 2 phones and an 8" tablet. The tablet works a bit better than the phones as a hotspot.we only have 1 hotspot active at a time and if it slows down due to the 20 gb throttling,  we just switch to another hotspot. We've been able to stream movies (at std resolution).

I want a local lan that I can control the ip settings and, more, I want to be able to "share" or use all the hotspot data that is between 3 hotspots.  Don't want the local lan network settings to be changing.  Use a wifi TV, WiFi printer, Firestick, etc.    So, the local lan is easy with a wifi router, it's getting the data from the hotspot(s) to the router being the real question.  Verizon used to let you "gift" data to others but I don't see that option any longer.
Verizon Unlimited data is capped at 50 gig on the device and 15 gig on the hotspot, capped meaning restricted to 600kb after the "cap".  Other possible slowdowns come from busy towers and other stuff.  I'm well aware of all those issues and prepared to deal or accept them.

Use the router/hotspot as the the default LAN for your devices and just manually select to use the phone's hotspot when you want to stream video on a device.

Lou Schneider said:
Use the router/hotspot as the the default LAN for your devices and just manually select to use the phone's hotspot when you want to stream video on a device.
:))  The best I can come up with, thanks.

If you use a Pepwave SOHO router, which does Wifi as WAN, you can tie all your devices to the router's WIFI (it has both 2.4 and 5 connections).
On the Wifi as WAN connection you can set up you Hotspot and both phones with Failover from one to the other. That way if the Hotspot is first priority that's what the SOHO will connect to as long as it's available. When you reach you 15 GB limit just shut off the hotspot and turn on the hotspot on one of the phones and the SOHO will automatically connect.

Added benefit is that if your in a campground with good Good Wifi or an area with no Verizon service you can easily set up the CG's Wifi on the SOHO so that you never have to change the Wifi used by any of your devices.

There are other routers that will do this, but I have only used the Pepwave SOHO.

ken

The Pepwave sounds neat. Reading about it made me realize that I have no real idea how hot spots actually work. I use my phone as one all the time with my tablet but never thought about the behind the scenes tech.
Is it actually WiFi?

Ken & Sheila said:
If you use a Pepwave SOHO router, which does Wifi as WAN, you can tie all your devices to the router's WIFI (it has both 2.4 and 5 connections).
On the Wifi as WAN connection you can set up you Hotspot and both phones with Failover from one to the other. That way if the Hotspot is first priority that's what the SOHO will connect to as long as it's available. When you reach you 15 GB limit just shut off the hotspot and turn on the hotspot on one of the phones and the SOHO will automatically connect.

Added benefit is that if your in a campground with good Good Wifi or an area with no Verizon service you can easily set up the CG's Wifi on the SOHO so that you never have to change the Wifi used by any of your devices.

There are other routers that will do this, but I have only used the Pepwave SOHO.

ken

Thanks, I'll take a good look at that; sounds just like what I'm looking for.

We also camphost
We use a Visible Wireless phone and TPlink router. The Visible phone will only allow one connected device so the router as the connected device let's us stream, use the tablet, connect DW'S cell and laptop. We use an average of 125 gigs a month with 178 our highest  usage.  Its Verizon based and so far no issues with service.  All this for 40 a month, we are in a group so its 25. You can find groups to join on Facebook.

SMR said:
We also camphost
We use a Visible Wireless phone and TPlink router. The Visible phone will only allow one connected device so the router as the connected device let's us stream, use the tablet, connect DW'S cell and laptop. We use an average of 125 gigs a month with 178 our highest  usage.  Its Verizon based and so far no issues with service.  All this for 40 a month, we are in a group so its 25. You can find groups to join on Facebook.

I switched from Verizon to Visible when I needed a new phone, old battery was going out. Visible is a Verizon subsidary. The phones you get are unlocked. They limit you on data speed if you hotspot more than one device but the router gets you around that. As noted $40 a month and two for $35 each and drops for even more accounts. there is a web page where you can enter your existing phones IMEE number to see if it is compatible or not, its probably not. They have good prices on phones, however.

Charles

Metro by T-Mobile isn't bad. $90 a month for 2 phones for unlimited voice, data and text. I think it's 3GB of hot spot a month but not sure, it never slows down and the bill is always $90. 

To add another plug for Visible, I'm sitting here watching a movie on FX with my FireTVsick connected to a Verizon Novatel 7730L hotspot equipped with a Visible SIM. At $25/mo with Visible's "Party Pay" option, it's a heck of a deal for unlimited data even if you don't use the unlimited voice and text.

To add another plug for Visible, I'm sitting here watching a movie on FX with my FireTVsick connected to a Verizon Novatel 7730L hotspot equipped with a Visible SIM. At $25/mo with Visible's "Party Pay" option, it's a heck of a deal for unlimited data even if you don't use the unlimited voice and text.

Hi Dutch ,
Does the hotspot pickup a better signal. I am using an S8 for my hotspot and a GL router.
The S 8 seems to get a better signal than the Visible phone I bought from them.
I also only use it for the hotspot

Back
Top Bottom