House power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishspike

I kinda asked this this question on a different thread but was confusing to me. For those of you that store your Rv next to your house. Did you put in a power plug on a pedestal or outlet in side of house. 50 amp? Do you leave it plugged in all winter? Or just before you use it next. Sorry basic questions

Whatever works for you, but when I extended my driveway to make a parking pad for my motorhome I also put in an RV park-style pedestal that has 20, 30 and 50 amp plugs. Prior to that, I'd used a heavy extension cord to a normal house outlet. The pedestal is much better, but it's not a $50 option. Actual cost, aside from the pedestal itself, depends on where you install it, how far from a main box, who does the install, what is in between (does it have to go under a sidewalk, etc.), and so on.

At our upstate NY family cottage, I installed a 30 amp outlet for our 50 amp coach because that's all the 100 amp cottage service would support. I did run 6-3 UF wire though, since I do plan to upgrade the service at some point. Our private site in VT has a standard 50,30,20 RV panel mounted on a former corn crib turned storage shed. Years ago when we stored the RV for the winter, we did keep it plugged in. As fulltimers of course, it's always plugged in when there's a power source.

Last edited:
My rig is 30A so I installed a 30A outlet on its own breaker on the side of my garage. We are planning a pole barn that with be indoor storage for the MH. There will be a dedicated circuit in there for it as well.

I kinda asked this this question on a different thread but was confusing to me. For those of you that store your Rv next to your house. Did you put in a power plug on a pedestal or outlet in side of house. 50 amp? Do you leave it plugged in all winter? Or just before you use it next. Sorry basic questions
When mine was parked out in the sunlight, I never bothered to plug it in as it has solar for the house as well as separate solar for the engine battery.

But now it's parked in Auburn, CA and too many trees for the solar. So I run an extension cord and have a battery maintainer to keep the engine battery charged.

I turn off the converter and disconnect the lith house battery as I shouldn't kept it fully charged.

I have outside AC outlets at that house, but I simply run an extension under the garage door as that is a shorter and safer reach to where the RV is located.

No need for 50 amps for what I am doing. I just use a small waterproof AC extension cord with adapters to my RV shore cable.

-Don- Reno, NV

I store my coach in a metal shed on the family cattle ranch, I added a 50 amp outlet in the bay where I store the coach, though it is located on the wrong side of the coach due to wiring run length issues and layout in relation to the breaker box, ie it would have taken 3 times as much wire to run it to the correct side, plus the wire would have to be upsized. All this means is when I plug in I have to drag the power cord around the back of the coach and have it run under the coach behind the rear tires to reach the outlet.

p.s. I also leave it setup fully ready to go in case of hurricane evacuation, refrigerator running, water in the tanks, and in the summer I leave the air conditioner on set to about 85 F degrees to prevent mold and mildew, in the winter I leave the heat set at 45F

Wow thanks for the great information. I making an assumption my power inlet is on the drivers side of a 2608bs. I need to go find the pamphlet as camper isn’t till April. My plan is to put in class 5 pad In spring And concrete the following year. I will start looking for a pedestal.
thanks again

Because the wire pre-existed from an older install I put in a 30 amp outlet with a 20 amp breaker feeding it and used dogbone or the 30 amp superflex cord I had for my 50 amp rig.

Left it plugged in all winter.
Visited daily as it was also my HF ham shack.

We have always kept our RVs plugged in at home. We used a standard 15A outlet for a few years and then I got around to installing a pair of 30A outlets (we have space for RV visitors). Can use the pair of 30A with a Y-adapter if we need more power in the 50A coach - with twin-30 we can power everything normally. Handy if we have overnight guests that don't have their own RV.

We keep our 5er out at our country acreage . I installed a 50amp outlet & we keep rv plugged in 24/7 ready to go & we also use it as our farm house. I also put in a 30amp & sewer hookup by the barn if we have guests.

Back
Top Bottom