How can I add a skylight.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chnash

I want to add a skylight over the shower, but a roof truss goes right over the middle of it. I'm not sure how I can safely cut a big hole through a truss. You can see the black line where the truss is. 20230516_084809.jpg

The shower is on the back wall.
20230516_084903.jpg
I think my answer is that I can't/shouldn't put in a skylight, but thought I would get some other options.
Thanks.

Is it for the light, or headroom? The light can be solved with a recessed LED panel, headroom not so easy.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Welcome to the forum.
I wouldn’t do it. Now you’re talking about breaking into the structural integrity of the roof and the integrity of the roof composite from leakage.
Mark is spot on.

What is the goal? Light, Headroom? Both? The narrowest skylight that my quick search found was 14". Will that fit between the back wall and the truss?

Calling anything in the ceiling/roof of an RV a "truss" is probably gross overstatement. We aren't talking 2x8 on 16" centers! If its the typical 1x2 wood or metal cross-member, cutting it and boxing in the opening is probably feasible, though still maybe not a great idea. Could maybe even tie the ends of the brace/box to adjacent cross-members, if they aren't too far away.

That said, if it is light that is needed, put a "light pipe" on one or both sides of the cross-member and leave it alone. Something like this. But if it's extra headroom you need, you will have to figure out some roof bracing to make a raised skylight work.

I put an 8" diameter light pipe in a dark bathroom in my previous stick-built home, angled enough to bypass an actual ceiling joist. Worked like a charm.

Looks to me that the "truss" is 90 degrees of the centerline of the coach,, could you enlarge the present vent cross wise for additional light?..>>>Dan

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunitly it's for head room. I'm 6' 2" and can't stand up in the shower. Maybe I'll look into lowering the shower, but that seems rather difficult to do as well.

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunitly it's for head room. I'm 6' 2" and can't stand up in the shower. Maybe I'll look into lowering the shower, but that seems rather difficult to do as well.
I'm 6' 2" also, and I lived full-time in both a motorhome and a travel trailer for 5 years. Neither allowed me to stand fully upright while showering, I had to hunch my shoulders a little. It's one of those "give a little, take a little" things. You're in there for 5 minutes a day.

Have you opened the ceiling enough to gets eyes on the actual construction? Most RV construction is pretty basic and an experienced handyman-carpenter can usually do a replacement or modification. Heck, more than a few folks here have torn up entire roofs and rebuilt. Not something I would suggest for a first-time project, but well within the skills of a handy-type person.

This is the back end of my 2008 Thor roof. You can see the boxed in area which was a vent, right over the shower. I replaced the vent with a Max Fan Deluxe. This Thor is similar to the Coleman in construction. If the roof were opened up, it might be fairly easy, but I would not go cutting into it.

Personally, I would not do it.

Go to This Album of mine to get an idea of how the roof is constructed

Charles

full

If you need headroom, cut the ceiling panel off and leave the roof and roof trusses alone. It won't be pretty, but you'll get the added headroom. Maybe add some interior bracing and cosmetic paneling for looks, but the structure should still be sound. You'll get about 5 inches of added height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claassen
Back
Top Bottom