How can I reduce truck squat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're not overweight, than why the squat? I haul a heavy fifth wheel (3300 pounds hitch weight) and I have no squat. Just saying................

So a bunch of folks load their trucks with lead bars and the rear springs don't compress? And if the springs do compress - apparently by any amount - the truck is overloaded?

How do springs work, anyway?

Maybe we are having a problem defining squat.

I agree. Anytime you put anything in the back of a truck, the bed will go down and the headlights will go up. How much weight you put back there dictates how much the lights will go up.

I installed air bags on my 04 Silverado 1500 years ago for the same reason. Got tired of aiming the headlights low so I didn't blind everyone at night when pulling my trailer and not being able to see down the road when not pulling the trailer. Their is several companies out there that sell the air bag systems. I installed the Air Lift brand on mind and on several customers trucks at my shop. They have a life time warranty on them and they do stand behind them. I would recommend adding the air compressor because the air will leak out over time and it makes it lots easier to adjust the ride height. The Freightliner FL60 that we have pulling our 5th wheel is a leaf spring system on the rear and self leveling air bag system. I am no way near the limits of the trucks payload and yes it does lower the rear of the truck until the air bags does level it out. The air bags will allow you to have a stock ride when not loaded and a level, better handling truck when loaded. Be safe and what ever you decided is best for you, I wish you the best.

Did we make it 3 pages without a who tows after dark? I don’t like to be on the road past 5 pm.

*this is a light hearted post. No offense expressed or implied *

I installed air bags on my 04 Silverado 1500 years ago for the same reason. Got tired of aiming the headlights low so I didn't blind everyone at night when pulling my trailer and not being able to see down the road when not pulling the trailer. Their is several companies out there that sell the air bag systems. I installed the Air Lift brand on mind and on several customers trucks at my shop. They have a life time warranty on them and they do stand behind them. I would recommend adding the air compressor because the air will leak out over time and it makes it lots easier to adjust the ride height. The Freightliner FL60 that we have pulling our 5th wheel is a leaf spring system on the rear and self leveling air bag system. I am no way near the limits of the trucks payload and yes it does lower the rear of the truck until the air bags does level it out. The air bags will allow you to have a stock ride when not loaded and a level, better handling truck when loaded. Be safe and what ever you decided is best for you, I wish you the best.
I installed air bags on my 2004 2500HD. It was still overloaded although it did not squat any more.

Last edited:
The emphatic statement "I'm not overweight" without key numbers for the experts (not me) to analyze proves nothing. People are trying to be helpful. I've learned a lot over the years from these discussions and appreciate the analysis and guidance provided. Your weight totals may be within your overall limits but the way your trailer is positioned could be putting a higher percentage of the load on your truck than it should. It wouldn't hurt to work through the numbers with the experts.

Bilstein shocks, stiffer rear leaf springs or adding more pieces to the leaf springs, (or coil springs, depending on application).

Bilstein all the way. You can find other heavy duty shocks, but Bilstein is the best.

Bilstein shocks, stiffer rear leaf springs or adding more pieces to the leaf springs, (or coil springs, depending on application).

Bilstein all the way. You can find other heavy duty shocks, but Bilstein is the best.
I like the idea of Bilstein shocks when I need shocks.
Shocks don’t affect ride height.

The emphatic statement "I'm not overweight" without key numbers for the experts (not me) to analyze proves nothing. People are trying to be helpful. I've learned a lot over the years from these discussions and appreciate the analysis and guidance provided. Your weight totals may be within your overall limits but the way your trailer is positioned could be putting a higher percentage of the load on your truck than it should. It wouldn't hurt to work through the numbers with the experts.
I appreciate the thought. I am aware of my weights and am continually avalualuating my weights.

What ever my weights, I want to level the truck .

I like the idea of Bilstein shocks when I need shocks.
Shocks don’t affect ride height.
The Bilstein 5100's and 6112's that have multiple ride height settings should be on their lowest (stock height) setting for a lifted truck.Mar. 4, 2018

The Bilstein 5100 Ride Height Adjustable is a highly desirable upgrade for your truck that lets you raise your ride height if you want and and fit larger tires without buying a full lift kit. ... The Bilstein 5100 monotube piston shocks have an ultra-long, zinc-plated steel body that resists corrosion.

The Bilstein 5100 Ride Height Adjustable is a highly desirable upgrade for your truck that lets you raise your ride height if you want and and fit larger tires without buying a full lift kit. These aren't strut extenders; these are high-quality Bilstein adjustable replacement front shocks that let you set your front ride height, with three options from stock on up to 2.5 inches.

The Bilstein 5100 monotube piston shocks have an ultra-long, zinc-plated steel body that resists corrosion. The gas-charged interior with digressive piston and self-adjusting valving lets your shocks work at varying ride heights for better handling, daily driver or off-road. The large 46mm diameter gives these shocks a bigger oil volume for less fade. The Bilstein 5100 Ride Height Adjustable is a direct bolt-on replacement for your factory shocks and can be used with your factory front coil springs and rear leaf springs.

Thats almost like saying "my truck is Red" and I like it and thats the color I want. Then someone says "post a pic so we can confirm its Red because it sounds like it's maroon"! Oh, who are "the experts"?

Back
Top Bottom