How can I reduce truck squat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can we PLEASE stop this!! It's really tiring. Everyone already knows the "Weight Police" are all experts!!
Thank You Cameodon. I thought we are supposed to be nice to each other when posting. A pickup CAN be load legally and still sag in the back causing problems with the headlights shining in everyone's eyes. I think it great that he is looking for a way to help the problem and not blinding other people.

I like the idea of Bilstein shocks when I need shocks.
Shocks don’t affect ride height.

Ah if you're wanting more height as well you can get the taller shocks with everything else when the time comes. Summit has various length shocks. Figure out the desired height then purchase the proper length bilstein shocks, most websites and parts stores will have collapsed and expanded length listed in the part description. If you're wanting more height you can stick metal spacers in with longer U-bolts in the rear to raise the rear up as well as changing or adding to the leaf springs. If you have coil springs then all you need is spring seat spacers. Keep in mind, the higher you go the more drastic of an angle the drive shaft will be, so keep that in mind, if you go significantly higher you'll need to also modify driveshaft so that it doesn't stress the u-joints.

My point to eliminate squatting on acceleration or when hauling is that you need stiffer suspension, i.e. springs and shocks. It will also raise the vehicle a little higher the stiffer you go as it will take more pressure to compress the suspension. (Edit: Assuming you deviate from stock specifications.)

Last edited:
If anything I’d like to lower my F-250 a couple inches, front and rear

You must have a 2019 (or newer). I finally had to put some new running boards on mine. The main boards are only 3 inches from the bottom of the cab, but they drop down 8 inches. I needed them, and my short 5'2" wife really did. It still wouldn't hurt to lower them another couple though. But they have sure helped..a lot.

Rob&Deryl,​

Get yourself a set of Firestone, AirLift, or PacBrake Airbags with onboard air compressor that has a wireless remote so you can add/remove air from the drivers seat. I have this system and it works great. Run 5 psi when the truck is unloaded, and whatever you determine is right for your setup with the 5th wheel attached. If you already have your 5th wheel hitch height set for how the truck sits now, when you raise the truck it may make the 5th wheel sit nose high, so you may need to adjust the hitch or pinbox to compensate if you have the clearance between the bed and the 5th wheel. I don't raise mine up to unloaded height, it still sits an inch or two below empty height with 30 psi in the bags. It really helps with the rough roads and bridge transitions.

Rob&Deryl,​

Get yourself a set of Firestone, AirLift, or PacBrake Airbags with onboard air compressor that has a wireless remote so you can add/remove air from the drivers seat. I have this system and it works great. Run 5 psi when the truck is unloaded, and whatever you determine is right for your setup with the 5th wheel attached. If you already have your 5th wheel hitch height set for how the truck sits now, when you raise the truck it may make the 5th wheel sit nose high, so you may need to adjust the hitch or pinbox to compensate if you have the clearance between the bed and the 5th wheel. I don't raise mine up to unloaded height, it still sits an inch or two below empty height with 30 psi in the bags. It really helps with the rough roads and bridge transitions.
Sounds like a good suggestion.

How hard was it to find a place for the compressor and to get power to it?

Sounds like a good suggestion.

How hard was it to find a place for the compressor and to get power to it?
I mounted the compressor under the truck just behind the transfer case. Pretty easy to find a place and mount it to the frame or under the body. The kit comes with a wiring harness which gets power directly from the battery. Remote control turns the compressor on and it runs until the selected pressure is reached on the remote.

I mounted the compressor under the truck just behind the transfer case. Pretty easy to find a place and mount it to the frame or under the body. The kit comes with a wiring harness which gets power directly from the battery. Remote control turns the compressor on and it runs until the selected pressure is reached on the remote.
Welcome back to the forum. It’s been 5 years since you joined but see you’ve already help someone out. Don’t be a stranger anymore.

You must have a 2019 (or newer). I finally had to put some new running boards on mine. The main boards are only 3 inches from the bottom of the cab, but they drop down 8 inches. I needed them, and my short 5'2" wife really did. It still wouldn't hurt to lower them another couple though. But they have sure helped..a lot.
Yeah, it's a 2020. It's not that it's all that high compared to many others, especially lifted models. As far as I'm concerned it's maximum height now for hauling my 5th wheel....and it's stock. I moved the pin box to the max height on trailer, which lowers trailer. Running about 7" clearance to bed rails so thats about all I can do as for as getting the front of the trailer down so that its level.
Me wife is just about the same height as yours so se was happy it came with running boards but still complained some at first. But heck, it IS harder for her to get in than most people. I have 18" tires now so I don't think smaller tires are the answer.

airbags... my Ram CTD has the factory airbag system, it levels the truck with or without load.

Welcome back to the forum. It’s been 5 years since you joined but see you’ve already help someone out. Don’t be a stranger anymore.
Thank you. Life and work have a way of taking one's time. I didn't realize it had been 5 years since I'd joined. Just recently retired so I have much more time on my hands. Although I'm as busy retired as I was working. :)

Yeah, it's a 2020. It's not that it's all that high compared to many others, especially lifted models. As far as I'm concerned it's maximum height now for hauling my 5th wheel....and it's stock. I moved the pin box to the max height on trailer, which lowers trailer. Running about 7" clearance to bed rails so thats about all I can do as for as getting the front of the trailer down so that its level.
Me wife is just about the same height as yours so se was happy it came with running boards but still complained some at first. But heck, it IS harder for her to get in than most people. I have 18" tires now so I don't think smaller tires are the answer.
Be glad you have the 2020. The 2017 -2019 sit about 2 inches higher in the rear. Ford lowered the 2020+ trucks due to them sitting to high in the rear. I've read of several owners changing out the blocks under the springs of the 2017-2019's to lower the rear to make it easier to level the 5th wheel. I may do this mod myself.

Rob&Deryl,​

I said the same thing, in not so many words, back on page 2. The other good thing about the wireless remote compressor is, it will maintain however much air you have it set to automatically, as long as it maintains its wireless connection to the compressor. Remote control kept the batteries for at least 3 years before I had to change them. It was a great setup. I had my compressor mounted on the frame just behind the cab on the passenger side.

Be glad you have the 2020. The 2017 -2019 sit about 2 inches higher in the rear. Ford lowered the 2020+ trucks due to them sitting to high in the rear. I've read of several owners changing out the blocks under the springs of the 2017-2019's to lower the rear to make it easier to level the 5th wheel. I may do this mod myself.
Actually mine has 2” blocks under the springs, maybe the 17-19 - had 4” blocks? Mine sits basically level empty so it seems like 2 things. If I load 100 lbs some would say I’m “over weight” and if I lowered the rear the lights go higher even when empty, both would be cured if I could buy the single leaf auxillary overload.

Actually mine has 2” blocks under the springs, maybe the 17-19 - had 4” blocks? Mine sits basically level empty so it seems like 2 things. If I load 100 lbs some would say I’m “over weight” and if I lowered the rear the lights go higher even when empty, both would be cured if I could buy the single leaf auxillary overload.
The single leaf auxillary spring doesn't come into contact until the rear drops almost 4". I added the Super Springs Super Sway Stops which replaces the factory rubber auxillary spring contacts. They now contact when the truck drops a little over an inch.

The single leaf auxillary spring doesn't come into contact until the rear drops almost 4". I added the Super Springs Super Sway Stops which replaces the factory rubber auxillary spring contacts. They now contact when the truck drops a little over an inch.
Doesn’t matter, evidently you can’t get the single leaf aux spring for the 250 anyhow, even though the frame is drilled and tapped for the pads,just like the 350. You have a link to your super swings? What you’re describing sounds like the Timbrens….which “replaces the factory rubber auxiliary spring contacts”. I have the Timbrens which replaces the factory rubber bump stops . And yes the Timbrens come in contact after a little over an inch drop. They have some give but not much. Loaded it feels almost like you have no rear spring at all, because you don’t! Hard hard ride, I’m sure everything in the trailer takes a beating! The single leaf helper has lots of give to it.

Doesn’t matter, evidently you can’t get the single leaf aux spring for the 250 anyhow, even though the frame is drilled and tapped for the pads,just like the 350. You have a link to your super swings? What you’re describing sounds like the Timbrens….which “replaces the factory rubber auxiliary spring contacts”. I have the Timbrens which replaces the factory rubber bump stops . And yes the Timbrens come in contact after a little over an inch drop. They have some give but not much. Loaded it feels almost like you have no rear spring at all, because you don’t! Hard hard ride, I’m sure everything in the trailer takes a beating! The single leaf helper has lots of give to it.
You can get the single auxillary spring in a 250 if the truck is equipped with the Camper Package, or with the High Capacity Trailer Tow Package. Here's a picture of the Super Spring Extended Spring Contacts.

Attachments

• 20190630_114625.jpg
    20190630_114625.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom